Vermont Flag Site Logo

Brainard, Harvey H.


Age: 0, credited to Vermont
Unit(s): 13th NY INF
Service: Co. G, 13th NY INF

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: Abt 1838, Rush, NY
Death: 12/14/1911

Burial: Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Putney, VT
Marker/Plot: Plot 626
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: Brainerd, Harvey H.
Pension?: Unknown
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: Alternate spelling Brainerd


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Putney, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.



Henry H. Brainard, 73, whose sudden death last week Thursday afternoon was reported in the Reformer, was born in Rush, N.Y., June 27, 1838, a son of Hezekiah and Laura Elisa (Phelps) Brainard. Mr. Brainard's father died when he was quite young, and during those early years, and until 21 years of age, made his home in Rush and Rochester, N.Y.

At the breaking out of the War of the Rebellion Mr. Brainard enlisted in Company G., New York Volunteers as a private. He was stationed near Washington for some time, and his first entry into the service was at Arlington Heights, Va. The first battle in which he was engaged was the second battle of Bull Run, and other engagements in which he participated in were: Hall's Hill, Antietam, Blackburn Ford, and Fredericksburg. He was slightly wounded Dec. 13, by a shell at Fredericksburg. In March of 1862, he was in hospitals at Georgetown and Baltimore. The most important event in the service was at the battle of Fredericksburg, where the 13th was the last to recross Pontoon bridge, and the first to enter Sharpsburg at daybreak on the morning of the battle of Antietam. It captured 59 prisoners. The brigade of which the 13th New York was a part of the advance of the Fifth Corps, and the only brigade that crossed the Potomac at Blackburn Ford, Sept. 21, 1862. Mr Brainard was discharged at Rochester, N.Y. May 13, 1863, at the close of his term of enlistment.

He was a charter member of Col. W. H. Greenwood Post No. 90, G.A.R., always taking an active part in the work of the order. He served three years as commander, and was adjutant and patriotic instructor at the time of his death. He was deeply interested, and closely connected with the G.A.R., nearly always attending the departments encampments. He attended the last national encampment in Rochester N.Y., his old home, last August.

After his return home he did not seem to be in usual health, gradually failed, and was able to do but little work, although he was supposed to be as usual Thursday.

He was very helpful to Col. W. H. Greenwood Women's Relief Corps. His was a kindly word, pleasant smile, and helpful hand, will be missed by the members of the corps.

Mr. Brainard's first wife was Miss Sophronia A. Ford, of Brookline, whom he married in 1864. They lived for one year in Henrietta, N.Y. Then coming to Putney, they lived two years at the late Charles Blood farm on West Hill. Mrs. Brainard died in 1867, leaving two children, Duane and Hattie S. Brainard. On Feb. 22, 1869 Mr. Brainard married Miss Wealthy J. Skinner of Chester. Three children was born to them; Lyda A., A. Byron, and Chauncey.

Mr. and Mrs. Brainard lived on West Hill, and he built a house on the farm now owned by F. A. Aiken. After residing there a few years they removed to the village, and a little later to the house which had since been home.

After coming to Putney, Mr. Brainard engaged in farming for a few years, and then in company with James A, Gilbert, engaged in the occupation of threshing. After two years the partnership was dissolved, and Mr. Brainard continued the business alone, with the addition of wood sawing. He made his own machinery for horse power, which he used until 1886, when he installed steam power. He had several boilers, which were unsatisfactory, and then with the assistance of his sons he built a boiler which he used in his business until three years ago, when he changed again, for a gasoline engine.

Mr. Brainard was of genial disposition, a kind neighbor and friend, and always ready to assist when possible for him to do so. He was not identified with any church, but his life and character was above reproach.

He leaves, besides his wife, four children; Duane Brainard of Bellows Falls, Mrs. Hattie S., wife of Almond Marsh, of Townshend, Lydia E., wife of George Worthley, of West Townshend, and Chauncey A., of Springfield, Mass. A son, Byron died Nov. 1, 1895, at the age of 22. He is also survived by eight grandchildren, and one great grandchild, one sister, Mrs. A. A. Kidder, of Fairpoint, N. Y., and one half brother, Payette Brainard, of Idaho.

The funeral was held at the home Sunday at 1 o'clock, Rev. J. E. Berry of the Baptist church officiating. The burial service of the Grand Army was used, and the body was laid to rest beneath the folds of "Old Glory", the flag he loved and fought to save. Three selections were rendered by a quartet; Mr. and Mrs. F. A. Burdett, and Mr. and Mrs. F. I. Fifield -- "One Sweetly Solemn Thought", "We Shall Sleep, But Not Forever", and "A Few More Marchings Weary". The bearers were members of the G.A.R.; A. D. Kerr, A. P. Ranney, M. V. Sleeper, and C. F. Brown. Burial was in the family lot in Mt. Pleasant cemetery.

Source: Brattleboro Reformer, December 22, 1911

Courtesy of Deanna French

Previous Page