Vermont Flag Site Logo

Bishop, Oriel D.


Age: 0, credited to Readsboro, VT
Unit(s): 10th WI INF, 34th NJ INF
Service: enl 9/25/61, m/i, Pvt, Co. C, 10th WI INF, m/o 11/9/61; enl 2/10/65 as O'Neil D. Bishop, m/i, Pvt, Co. D, 34th NJ INF, 2/10/65, m/o 2/9/66, Mobile, AL

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 01/27/1837, Readsboro, VT
Death: 02/05/1905

Burial: Hillside Cemetery, Chilton, WI
Marker/Plot: 3rd Addition to Breed 27
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Janell Shumaker Keuler
Findagrave Memorial #: 88303040


Alias?: None Noted
Pension?: Yes, widow Orcelia E., 3/30/1905, lists both units
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: Unknown


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Hillside Cemetery, Chilton, WI

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Oriel D. Bishop

At the hour of midnight on Sunday Feb. 5, O. D. Bishop, a veteran of the civil war and a pioneer was mustered out. His death occurred at his home after a week's illness. O. D. Bishop was a native of Vermont and was born at Reedsboro, that state, January 27, 1837. In the spring of 1856 he came to Wisconsin and located near Sherwood, where his brother, Wm. R. Bishop, had settled two years previous. He engaged in lumbering and was getting a good start when the civil war broke out. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Co. C., 10th Wis. Vol. Inf. He was discharged on account of injuries received and returned to his home. In 1864 he re-enlisted in the 34th regiment, New Jersey Vol. Inf. and served until the close of the war. He was in several engagements; at Fort Blakely, Spanish Fort, Mobile Bay and others. At the close of the war he returned to his home at Sherwood and established a stave mill. In 1866, he married Orcelia Ellen Ballou. In 1869 he built a saw mill at Hilbert and began the manufacture of lumber and staves. He continued in this business until 1885, when he retired from active business and became interested in bee culture. For twelve years he had been in poor health, but was able to be about and take an interest in what was transpiring in his village. He enjoyed a large acquaintance and was well liked by all who knew him. He was a man of great intelligence, thoroughly posted on the events of the day and was a great hand to entertain his friends.

The funeral was held from the family home on Wednesday morning at ten o'clock, Rev. Buxton, of South Kaukauna, conducting the services. The remains were brought to this city for interment and were laid at rest in the family lot. The Jos. B. Reynolds Post GAR of which Mr. Bishop was a member in good standing for years had charge at the cemetery and buried him with military honors. He leaves a widow and two sons, O. D. and Wilmer E., to mourn his death.

Source: Chilton (WI) Times, February 11, 1905
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.

Previous Page