Vermont Flag Site Logo

Burdick, Frank Noyes


Age: 0, credited to Guilford, VT
Unit(s): 88th IL INF
Service: SURG, 88th IL INF

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 1839, Guilford, VT
Death: 02/22/1917

Burial: Christ Church Cemetery, Manhasset, NY
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Heidi McColgan
Findagrave Memorial #: 45563024


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Unknown
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: Unknown


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Christ Church Cemetery, Manhassett, NY

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Dr. F. N. Burdick
Died in Guilford

Former Medical Practitioner Served
Several Terms as Mayor of Ver-
milion, S.D. - Funeral Today.

Dr. Frank N. Burdick, 78, died Thursday night in the home of D. D. Franklin in Guilford where he had lived several months. He had been in failing health for a year or more.

Dr. Burdick was a native of Guilford, born in 1839, a son of Mr. and Mrs. Thompson E. Burdick. His grandfather was Pardon Burdick, who came from Stonington, Conn., and settled in Guilford in 1799. The old homestead, which is in the southern part of the town, reached by way of the Weatherhead Hollow road, is now in the possession of Dr. Burdick's brother, Fred T. Burdick.

Dr. Burdick graduated from the medical department of the University of Vermont in 1859. He went to Dakota in 1873 and settled in Vermilion in what is now South Dakota, where he practiced medicine many years. He was at one time owner of the Dakota Republican, the oldest newspaper in the state. In 1878 he was elected may of Vermilion, holding the office continuously seven years. He was again elected mayor in 1886. He served as surgeon to the government troops.

About a dozen years ago he returned east and since that time had spent the summers in Guilford and the winters in New York. On returning east he retired from practice and bought a house in Guilford near the old homestead but sold it some time ago.

His second wife died in New York last summer. Since then Dr. Burdick had lived at Mr. Franklin's.

Dr. Burdick leaves one son, Edward Burdick, who has a position in the office of the Russell company, Pittsfield, Mass., two brothers, William Burdick of Greenfield, Mass., and Frederick of Guilford, also a step-daughter, Mrs. Herbert S. Houston of New York.

The funeral was held at 1 o'clock today and the body was placed in the tomb. It will be taken to New York in the spring for burial

On March 8, 1913, Dr. and Mrs. Burdick had a thrilling experience in New York. They were in their room on the top floor of Hotel Burlington, six stories high when fire broke out in the hotel and they had barely time to reach the fire escape in their night clothing on one of the coldest mornings of that winter. On reaching the ground they found themselves trapped in a closed court but were rescued by firemen.

Source: Brattleboro Daily Reformer, February 26, 1917
Courtesy of Gail Lynde

Previous Page