Vermont Flag Site Logo

Beach, Edgar A.


Age: 22, credited to Essex, VT
Unit(s): 1st VT INF, 4th VT INF, 2nd USSS
Service: enl 5/2/61, m/i 5/9/61, Pvt, Co. H, 1st VT INF, m/o 8/15/61; enl 8/21/62, m/i 9/30/62, Pvt, Co. H, 2nd USSS, pr CPL 3/12/64, wdd, 11/27/63, wdd, 5/64, pr 2LT, 10/11/64 (11/4/64), wdd, 10/27/64, pow, 10/27/64, prld 2/5/65, mustered as 2LT to date from 12/31/64, tr to Co. A, 4th VT INF, 2/25/65, m/o 6/19/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 03/14/1837, Vermont
Death: 12/09/1893

Burial: Village Cemetery, Essex, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Kathy Valloch
Findagrave Memorial #: 70533816


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes
Portrait?: White Collection, VHS Collections
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Village Cemetery, Essex, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Vermont Officers Reunion Society Collection
Courtesy Vermont Historical Society

(Brian White Collection)


"He was wounded in the right thigh on the 27th of October, 1864, at the battle of Boydton Plank Road, Virginia. He lay on the battlefield without covering of any kind, without any thing to eat, and, of course without having his wound dressed, for five days. His sufferings were great, for during the first night it rained very hard. At the expiration of this time he was picked up by the rebels and taken to the Confederate Hospital, Washington Street, Petersburgh, Virginia, where he remained seven days. here he received good treatment and had plenty to eat. From thence he was taken to Richmond and confined in Libby Prison Hospital. While in this prison he suffered considerably, but much less than many other of his comrades did; for making himself known as a member of the Masonic fraternity, he found friends who ministered to his wants. Whilst laying upon the field of battle he was robbed of what money he had, his knife, picket-book, two gold pens and case--and in fact everything he had, even to a half-cent he had carried some ten years. On the 5th of February, 1865, he was paroled."

Source: L. C. Butler, The Memorial Record of Essex, Vermont, (R. S. Styles, Book and Job Printer, Burlington, 1866), pp. 18-9.


Edgar A. Beach died last Saturday at his home in Essex Junction from the effect of a shock of paralysis. He was the first man to enlist at Essex Junction, for which he received a prize of $100 that had been offered by a patriotic citizen in that town. At the time of his death he was engage in the clothing business under the name of E. A. Beach and Son. He was postmaster at Essex Junction for sixteen years.


Orleans County Monitor, Dec. 18, 1893
Courtesy of Deanna French

Previous Page