Vermont Flag Site Logo

Individual Record

Blanchard, Jared Jr.

Age: 34, credited to Derby, VT
Unit(s): 11th VT INF
Service: enl 1/5/64, m/i 1/13/64, Pvt, Co. H, 11th VT INF, pow, Weldon Railroad, 6/23/64, Andersonville, prld 12/11/64, Charleston, SC, tr to US Genl Hosp. in VT, 12/15/64, 30 day furlough 12/30/64, dsrtd 3/20/65, insane

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations

Birth: abt 1830, Barnston, PQ, Canada
Death: 05/18/1897

Burial: May be buried in ..., , PQ
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer:
Findagrave Memorial #: 18493133
Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, application date
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

Note: The 11th Vermont Infantry was also known as the 1st Vermont Heavy Artillery; the names were used interchangably for most of its career


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)

Copyright notice
Died in Verdun, Montreal, PQ
Check the cemetery for location/directions
and other veterans who may be buried there.



TOWNSHEND --- Artemas A. Blood died Tuesday May 11, aged 62 years, 2 months, and 2 days. He had been a sufferer from heart trouble for several years, and had a long and painful illness the winter of '98, but rallied when warm weather came so that during the summer and fall did much of the work on a small farm. Cold winter this past winter brought back the trouble in a more aggravated form, which in a short time developed into dropsy, and for two months he was confined to his room, to the last three to a chair, as he could not lie down. He hoped until the last he might recover and enjoy his pleasant home. He was cheerful and patient as one could be under such terrible suffering. Most of his life has been spent in this and adjoining towns.

He was a member of Co. E., 16th Vermont Volunteers and did his country faithful service. His health was very much broken during the service, and a serious illness followed his return home. His was a quiet, unpretending life, but true to his sense of right at all times; one ever ready to extend a helping hand to any, however low or needy. A good life ended on earth, and yet it may not be, for his memory may influence others to a more noble strife with the evil of the world.

He had been a member of the Baptist Church at South Windham for 30 years, and the burial services were held at that place where many gathered to pay a tribute of respect to a neighbor and a brother. He was a member of Abbott Post, G.A.R., and they, with Comrades from Townshend were present and assisted in the last sad services.

He was the sixth in a family of eight children, only the two youngest being left, a brother Arthur A. Blood, and a sister Mrs. A. B. Metcalf. He was never married and was the homeboy for the parents in their last years, giving loving, patient service, which in some measure was returned to him during his last illness.

M. F. Hardy of this village assisted by Mr. Buckingham of South Windham were the officiating clergymen. The friends would extend their thanks to any and all who rendered kindnesses, and for the many beautiful flowers. As Ye has meted so may you all receive.

Bellows Falls Times, May 20, 1899
Courtesy of Deanna French.