Vermont Flag Site Logo
John Gibson Collection

Medical Case Histories

Medical Case histories documented by Surgeon Henry Janes, U.S. Volunteers, while in charge of Sloan U.S. General Hospital, Montpelier, from the fall of 1864 to the end of the war.


Chase, AC


Duffany, A


Holbrook, S


McGowen, J


Phelps, H


Shepard, George


Sherman, EM


Spenard, B


Stickney, B


Taylor, BJ


Tilson, W

See also:

Introduction to Surgeon Henry Janes and additional material we have collected on him.
Designed to Cure: Civil War Hospitals in Vermont. (VHS)

Vermont's War Hospitals. (VHS)

From the U.S. National Library of Medicine:

Sloan U.S. Army General Hospital records, 1857-1866 (bulk 1864-1866). Sloan U.S. Army General Hospital.
Physical Description: 1.25 linear ft. (3 boxes)
Call Number: MS C 434
Finding Aid

Contains two order books, hospital reports, vouchers, receipts, and correspondence. These document the hospital's activities between May 1864 and Oct. 1865. Includes "Monthly Reports on Contract Nurses, 1863-1865."

In the fall of 1863, a site in Montpelier was chosen to erect Vermont's third Civil War hospital. Named after U.S. Army Surgeon William J. Sloan. It had a capacity of 500 in its 25 wards, and operated for 16 months (June 1864-Oct. 1865). Approximately 1,670 soldiers were treated there. Surgeon Henry Janes, U.S.V. became commander on Oct. 12, 1864, relieving Asst. Surgeon George P. Jaquette. Janes joined the 3rd Vermont in 1861 as the regimental surgeon, and later was given a commission as surgeon of US Volunteers. Following the battle of Gettysburg, Janes was given charge of all the military hospitals in the Gettysburg region - being in charge of some 20,000 wounded soldiers. He then returned to Vermont to take charge of Sloan Hospital. The hospital was of the pavilion style, in favor with the Surgeon General's office. Its buildings radiated from an octagonal central space, around the whole of which was a covered platform or pathway connecting the whole. The buildings were of wood, lathed and plastered, clap-boarded, shingled and double floored. By December, 1864, there would be 421 patients in this hospital.

Medical Case histories courtesy of the Boston Medical Library in the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine.