Cambridge Transcript, 11/29/1918
Vermont Civil War Monuments
POST NO. 10
WOMANS RELIEF CORPS
SONS OF VETERANS
IN MEMORY OF
POST NO 10
DEPT. OF VT.
FOR A PERSONAL RECORD
OF THE SOLDIERS OF
THIS TOWN AND POST NO 10
CONSULT G.A.R. RECORD BOOK
IN THE TOWN CLERK'S OFFICE
HIGH WATER MARK
NOVEMBER 4 1927
THE TOWN OF CAMBRIDGE
FURNISHED THREE HUNDRED
AND TWO SOLDIERS
POST NO 10 HAD
TWO HUNDRED MEMBERS
DURING ITS EXISTENCE
Courtesy of Peter Flood, great-grandson of 1st Lieutenant Jerome B. Hatch, 1st Vermont Cavalry.SOLDIERS' MONUMENT
The Grand Army Monument that has been under contemplation for some time is completed. It stands at the junction of Main street and Mansfield avenue, "a thing of beauty and lasting durability." The contract for creating and erecting the same was between the officers and members of the Post No. 10, G.A.R., Department of Vermont, Cambridge, through J. A. Henley, Secretary and treasurer, and Canton Brothers, Inc. Barre, Vermont. The material is from the Bootwell, Milne & Varnum Barre quarries -- their best dark granite.
The following are the dimensions:
Foundation, 6'0" x 5' 3" x 6'0". Concrete six feet deep. Base, 6'0" x 5'3" x 1'4". Plinth, 4'10" x 4'1" x 2'6". Die, 2'10" x 2'10" x 6'6". Cap, 3'6" x 3'6" x 1'5".
The shield carved on the Main street front has the following record: Erected by the Post No. 10, Women's Relief Corp., Son's of Veterans and citizen subscribers: G.A.R., Cambridge, Vermont." On the , a large carved G. A. R. badge and 1918.
On the west side of the plinth: "For a further record of the Soldiers of the town of Cambridge and Post No. 10, consult G. A. R. Record Book, Town Clerk's office." South side of the plinth: "Town of Cambridge furnished three hundred and two Soldiers. Post No. 10 had, during its existence, two hundred members." East side of plinth: Carved Women's Relief Corps and Sons of Veteran badges: "In memory of Post No. 10, G. A. R. Department of Vermont." Three sides of the die (?) are blank, left for the cutting of the names of members of the Post, or the placing of bronze tablets.
The whole is called a very fine piece of work. We are of the opinion that this is the only special G. A. R. monument in the State if not the United States. There are many soldiers' and soldiers' and sailors' monuments, but this is the only one erected by a G. A. R. Post. It will cost completed some $2200.00. Post No. 10 furnished between $1800 and $1900. A list of the citizen subscribers is here printed and the few living members of the Post 10 thanks them for their donation.
Mrs. Kate Walker, H. N. Gray, Day, T. H. Corse, Linus Leaven, Fred Hitchcock, W. H. Parker, M. M. Parker, L. J. Church, H. S. Gates, J. A. Learned, Byron M. Ellinwood, W. N. Lang, H. W. Varnum, J. E. Hunt & Son, W. M. Smith, F. M. Willey, Charles Bellows, B. E. Reynolds, S. E. Pope, E. W. Patch, W. L. Griswold, Charles W LaBounty, H. A. Bulkeley, J. A. Healey, Charles Wallace, Mary Wallace, J. A. Lemarlac (?), Frank L. Start, Mrs. Ann Leach.
H.N. Gray kindly acted as custodian of the funds and the aid and advice of W. M. Smith is duly appreciated.
If there are any compliments or criticisms to be made in connection with the financing, contracting, and placing of this G. A. R. monument, direct them to Col. W. H. Parker, for it was through his labor and devotion through the past few years that the Post and Town have a record monument that will endure for the centuries in the memory of those who dedicated their lives for the perpetuation of the constitution and the democratic liberty.