John Winnick Currier
Tenth Massachusetts and First Virginia Volunteers
Currier, John Winnick, of North Troy, son of John and Mary (Elkins) Currier, was born in that town, April 5, 1835.
Mr. Currier is a fine representative of American self-made men. When only nine years old he graduated from the "little red schoolhouse" and went with his father into the cotton mills at Palmer, Mass., and from this date he has only himself to thank for his success in life's struggle and for the liberal education which he has derived from keen observation, undaunted energy and honorable ambition. After leaving the cotton mills he removed to Holyoke, where he learned the jeweler's trade, and in 1854 went to Boston to take charge of a wholesale jewelry store.
In 1854 he enlisted in the Springfield City Guards under Col. Henry S. Briggs, and when the civil war began he hastened from Pennsylvania to join his company, which had volunteered its services in response to President Lincoln's first call for troops. After doing duty for a time at the U. S. Arsenal in Springfield, he was enrolled for three years, May 31, 1861, and mustered in as sergeant in Co. F, 10th Mass. Infantry, serving with his regiment at the Washington Navy Yard and Arsenal till August 9, 1862, when he was sent to Massachusetts to assist in recruiting a regiment. January 6, 1862, he was discharged for promotion. Made adjutant of the 1st Va. Vols., Nov. 26, 1862, he was appointed additional paymaster U. S. Vols. Jan. 14, 1863, which post he declined in order to accept from the provost marshal of the Army of the Potomac a position for furnishing military clothing and equipments, being stationed at City Point, Va.
In 1871 he returned to North Troy, bought the old homestead and erected an elegant residence thereon, and has created a model farm from the estate. His winters are mostly spent in Boston or on his Southern plantation.
Mr. Currier is a very public-spirited man and has done much for the benefit of his native village. He planned and was chiefly instrumental in constructing the present fine system of waterworks.
He is a member of Post Bailey, No. 67, GAR, one of the largest posts in the county, and gave Camp J. W. Currier, S. of V., No. 81, a fine flag. He is also president of the Orleans County Veterans' Association, and an honorary member of the State National Guard.
In politics a strong adherent of the Democratic party, he has been entrusted with nearly all the town offices, was made town representative in 1878 and again in 1882. He has been Democratic candidate for member of Congress and Lieutenant-Governor, and has attended every national convention since 1872, nearly always as delegate or alternate, and was U. S. Deputy Marshal for four years under President Cleveland's first administration.
In religious profession he is an Episcopalian.
Since 1871 Mr. Currier has extensively engaged in the manufacture of lumber and has erected at North Troy a flouring mill with a capacity of one hundred barrels per day. He was interested in building the Clyde River R. R., now a part of the C. P. R. R. system, and was one of the original constructors of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe. He has given much attention to the formation of companies for handling patent rights and developing mines. He is naturally very social in his tastes and is a Free Mason, and a member of the Scotch Charitable Society in Boston, the oldest organization of the kind in America
November 9, 1866, he married Eveline, daughter of John E. and Laura (Willard) Chamberlain of Newbury. Of this union were two sons: John (deceased), and Charles Elliot. An adopted daughter is the wife of T. L. Wadleigh, of Meredith, N. H.
Source: Jacob G. Ullery, compiler, Men of Vermont: An Illustrated Biographical History of Vermonters and Sons of Vermont, (Transcript Publishing Company, Brattleboro, VT, 1894), Part II, p. 86.