Charles H. Hodge

From The 9th Regiment
The Following Is From A Young Man Who Has Been Out In The 5th Reg.
Camp Davis: Brattleboro, July 3d, 1862

MR. EDITOR: After one has boarded at the American House for a few weeks it seems like leaving home to leave such a table as one always finds at Col. Keeler's. Every day the boys are talking of the kindness and respect with which the Col. used them while they were there; still the boys were anxious to get to camp, and when we started from there on Monday last, they did not realize what they were coming to here.
At Stowe we partook of breakfast furnished by the very patriotic people of that place. Geo. Wilkins, Esq., made a few Remarks2,which caused the boys to cheer heartily, after which we once more heard the command "all aboard", and we started for Waterbury, where we took the cars. Rain having commenced falling it continued unabated, until we arrived nearly to our destination.
At White River Junction we partook of an excellent dinner at the Junction House. After leaving the cars we marched to our Camping Ground, about one mile and a half from the depot. We found it a beautiful spot and our tents pitched. Five companies were on the ground and two more came the same day we did. One more has come in since, making nine companies now on the ground. We have got our guns and equipments, and it begins to look quite soldier like here now. The Colonel, Lieut. Colonel, and adjutant are here and today we had the first dress parade. The boys did finely for those who have been drilled no longer. Our company will compare favorably with any in the Reg., and it is as well drilled as any, for which we are indebted to drillmaster Woodbury, whose untiring efforts are highly appreciated by the officers of the company. At present the boys think they have made a fine selection of officers. They certainly have done credit to themselves thus far and show that they have humanity about them.
They think we shall leave here the coming week, but perhaps we may be delayed for a few days.
It is night, and tattoo is beating, so I must quit.

July 4th --- Once more has dawned the day of all others, which all the patriots hold in rememberance dear. The camp is alive today. Martial music stirs us up. Fire crackers and torpedoes are snapping on all sides. The boys feel jubilant. The Colonel is on hand and at noon today the Regiment is on parade, making a very fine appearance for one not having been drilled more. A salute of thirty-four guns is just being fired and cheers of hundreds of spectators, among them the fair sex is predominant.
The soldiers rations are far better here than they had at St. Albans where the 5th rendezvoused. They have good rations and all they need; thanks to the good management of Gen. Davis, Quartermaster. In the afternoon today we have had the first regimental drill. It was an awkward affair, but new recruits have got it to learn.
Maj. Sawyer of the 1st Vt. Cavalry, made us a visit today, with a number of others from Lamoille County. The Maj., like a good soldier and true patriot, is anxious to return to his command.
The weather here today is beautiful although rather warm for new recruits, who feel much oppressed when they drill with all their equipments on. New recruits are coming in and we hope soon to have the regiment full to maximum.
We had to pass through a very close inspection by Surgeon Phelps who seems to know what he is up to, and has thrown out quite a number from our company.
Capt. Slayton has won the respect of his company by his impartiality and kindness to all of them. We put our whole trust and confidence in him, thinking it rightly bestowed.
The boys have been very busy since their arrival here, fixing up their tents, and smoothing off our parade ground, but they are anxious to go to Annapolis or wherever our destination may be; little thinking of the comforts they will leave here in old Vermont. They will never be at home, let them go where they will, till they once more reach their own firesides, which God grant they may all do.

Brattleboro: July 8th, 1862 ---
Sunday was passed, here in camp, by the usual Sunday morning inspection, after which there was a request read, that all who felt so disposed, should attend church at the village. Many of the boys went to church, others busied themselves writing letters to their friends, &c.
Yesterday the boys had the time to themselves on purpose to ornament their grounds. The boys in Co. H. went into the young pines and brought them for all sizes from twelve inches in diameter, down to one. The boys placed one near 50 feet high in front of the Captain's tent, and then went and got two very pretty ones and placed before the Colonel's quarters, for which the Col. kindly thanked them and came over to Capt. Slayton's quarters where the Capt. brought out a sufficient quantity of ice- cool lemonade for all who wished to partake of the delicious beverage
The Lieut. Colonel was also a partaker and today the boys have gone and done a fine thing for him, by placing some beautiful trees before his quarters. We like the appearance of our field officers first rate, what we have seen of them. Soldiers should always place unbounded confidence in all their officers, and then they can depend on one another, and will know how to cooperate with each other. Today the boys are enjoying their first Battalion drill, with knapsacks. They think it a rather warm treat for a sultry July day. We expect to be mustered into the United States service tomorrow or next day. Then away to Dixie will be the watchword.
Yours truly,
Horace (1)

Camp Davis, July 9, 1862

MR. EDITOR: --- Today has been a day of pleasure for the boys. Last night on dress parade, an order was read that we should be paid off before we left the state, what is now due from the state, one month's pay in advance, and twenty-five dollars for the bounty. Cheer after cheer have sounded from one end of the camp to the other since.
This morning we were presented with two beautiful flags by Governor Holbrook in person, one a regimental color, the other, the Old Stars and Stripes, on beautiful silk, both of them were very nice and costly.
The governor made some very appropriate remarks to Col. Stannard, complimenting him for his bravery, and the good name he has borne since the war broke out, and for the trust that the people of Vermont and the friends of the 9th regiment put in him, Col. Stannard's reply was very patriotic. He complimented his command highly for their fine appearance, for the respect they have shown him since he had been in command of the regiment, and said he had the fullest confidence in the men, and that the men would shed the last drop of their blood before they would prove traitors to the trust that the Governor and the people of the State had placed in them, and for the beautiful colors, he returned his sincere thanks trusting in God that they should be borne faithfully through this inhuman war, and finally once more wave o'er every spot where secession has gained a foothold until this beautiful land shall be restored to all the former strength and happiness.
After we were reviewed by the governor, Gens. Davis and Washburn. There were a great many spectators, and the day passed off pleasantly for us all.
We expect to be mustered in this afternoon, and paid off soon after.
Yours truly,
Horace (2)

Camp Davis, July 11, 1862

MR. EDITOR: --- The ever welcome Newsdealer was on time today. The boys were anxious to see and pursue its contents, and it would have sold high to-day for the Paymaster was in camp with plenty of Uncle Sam's Green Back's, of which we all got a share. One month’s pay in advance is what we received today. We expect one-fourth of the bounty tomorrow, as the pay-rolls are all made out signed, ready for another visit from Maj. Halsey, the paymaster. It is always a pleasure for us soldiers to know that Maj. Halsey is in town, for he always has plenty of the "ready" and brings joy and good cheer to camp when ever he visits. After the boys got their pay today, the Captain was besieged on all sides by the boys for passes to go to the village. He being officer of the day, had all he could attend to, but the boys teased so hard he had to let them go, and for some reason they are rather more noisy to-night than usual, some of them feel quite salubrious, others are trying to borrow money, some are sporting new watches and chains, while others still remember the dear ones at home, and are writing letters which doubtless will enclose some of the Green Backs.
This week has been a busy one, especially for the officers. They have had the Regt. Rolls to make out and see that all men have their full supply of clothing and equipments preparatory to a move which doubtless will take place early this coming week. We now expect to go to Annapolis Junction to guard the Baltimore Railroad. That being a pleasant place, the boys are all very anxious to go soon. Duties call and I must close.
Yours truly,
Horace (3)

Camp Near Alexandria, Va., July 21, 1862

MR. EDITOR: --- As you will see by the date of this that we have once more moved, or rather arrived at this place --- a beautiful spot on the Orange and Alexandria R.R., about three miles from Alexandria. Yesterday was a beautiful day for moving. We started at 7 a.m., marched through the city of Long Bridge, crossed and moved on.
The boys thought it a pretty hard time. Their knapsacks were filled to their greatest extent and the strongest men soon began to fall out, while others of small stature stood it bravely and did not falter, through the day. The distance was from ten to twelve miles. We halted five times for a few minutes, the last time near our camping ground. While we were there the stragglers were marched in by officers left behind for that purpose, and those who were ahead began to cheer for the 10th Vermont; in fact they looked almost like a regiment, for there was nearly one half of one. Last night, for the first time, the boys began to cook by a camp fire. They made some first rate coffee and we were quite ready to camp down after doing such a hard day's work. There are a great many Regiments camped about here; remnants of Shield's division and others. As many as ten regiments of cavalry are here, or near by. We are near Cloud's Mills where our boys gave the rebels quite a whipping. Today is the anniversary of the Bull Run battle, and there are many here who were there and they tell of doing some pretty tall running along this road about a year ago.
We have exchanged our old Armstrong rifles for the new Springfield, making a very good trade we think.
We do not know what Brigade we shall go into or where we shall go next, put I presume we may stop here for some time to drill. Breakfast is now ready, and other duties call, so I must close.
Yours &c.
Horace (4)

Soldiers Rest, Washington, D.C., July 18, 1862

MR. EDITOR: --- We have at last arrived at Washington. We started from Camp Davis, Tuesday morning, the rain pouring in torrents and continuing nearly through the day. We took the cars at 9 a.m., surrounded by hundreds of friends, who bade us God Speed, and a safe return. Passing down through the beautiful valley of Connecticut, we were received by the people with cheers and much enthusiasm. At Springfield we were supplied with dinner provided by the citizens of that place. A band was at the depot playing sweet strains of music, while a cannon, manned by the sturdy sons of Springfield, fired a national salute. At North Hampton we were all refreshed with water cooled with ice. We arrived at New Haven at 7 p.m., and went on board the steamer Bay State, which started up the Sound. At 11 1/2 p.m. we anchored for the night. In the morning we passed through Hurl Gate, and landed at pier No.23. We there formed in line and marched to Madison Square where we arrived at 8 a.m. Wednesday. The sons of Vermont furnished us with a good dinner, under the superintendence of Col. Howe. The officers went to the 5th Avenue Hotel, where they partook of an excellent collation, also furnished by the sons of Vermont. At 3 p.m. we partook of another excellent meal, and at 4 p.m. we started on our line of march once more down Madison Avenue, through some other street into Broadway, stopping at the Metropolitan Hotel where Mrs. Lincoln was stopping. The drum corps gave her a parting salute, and then at Col. Howe's establishment we were cheered and guns were fired from the roof of buildings; flags were flying from every window, and cheer after cheer went up from the gathering multitude. Passing down Broadway to the battery we went on board the boat for Amboy. We were escorted through the streets of New York by the sons of Vermont, preceeded by a squad of police. Horace Greely was with the sons of Vermont, acting as color guard I suppose. As he walked the whole length of the line under the banner, borne by the sons of Vermont. At the Pier Mr. Greeley made us a very good parting speech, which was received with cheers from the soldiers. We next landed at Amboy, took the cars for Camden, where we arrived at 2 a.m., on Thursday. Once more we changed for a boat, crossed over into Philadelphia where we found a table bountifully supplied with eatables. After we finished our repast we marched nearly two miles, to the Baltimore R.R. Depot; took the cars once more, and started at 6 a.m. for Baltimore.
We arrived at Mobtown (Baltimore) at 2 p.m., and partook of an excellent dinner, and at 5 p.m., took cattle cars for Washington, where we arrived at 10 p.m., well tired out. Cattle cars are an excellent institution for tired soldiers, and especially sick ones.
It rains beautifully here today. We do not know our destination yet, but we expect to find it soon. Most of the boys are well yet, but worn out by the journey.
Yours truly,
Horace (5)

Winchester, Va., July 27, '62

MR. EDITOR: --- We have once more got out tents pitched on a beautiful eminence, overlooking the noted village of Winchester, where secession is prevalent and soldiers quite plenty. We started from the ferry at 1 o'clock. It took nearly 5 hours to run here-- a distance of 35 miles. It was a most beautiful country, but the roughest railroad I ever rode over; nothing more than timbers laid down with bars of iron spiked to them. The country through the valley shows the effects of war to a considerable extent ---- houses burned and pillaged, bridges torn out, fences gone, corn and grain choked out by weeds, and things generally look as though they have had a "severe letting alone" for the past season.
Secession proclivities stick out quite prominent here at Winchester. One woman came into the camp of one of the regiments here yesterday for salt. The boys let her have the salt, then politely asked her to take the oath of allegiance, which she flatly refused to do, and consequently she stopped here on the hill last night. While our boys were in the village a man spit in one of their faces, calling him a d---d Yankee rebel. The soldier knocked him down as politely as he could, and walked on with his company. They are fortifying this hill on all sides, not knowing how soon we may be called on to meet the foe. Forty men from Co. H for labor, and thirteen for picket was the first detail, this morning. Many are worn out, moving about, so that our sick list is quite large this morning. Every man that is fit for duty has been called on today. The enemy is on three sides of us, and we are liable to be attacked at any time. The pickets bring in prisoners almost every day.
We have had hard duties to perform here, and hearts ready and willing to perform them.
One more from Company E. lost his fingers on the railroad at Harpers Ferry. That makes two less in our regiment already for duty. It is very warm here to-day for labor, but it must be done.

Camp Near Winchester, Va., July 28, 1862

Mr. EDITOR: Our camp is in a beautiful grove. The ground rough and stony. The boys are all at work on a large earthwork just to the south of our camp, except for a few that who do picket duty in front of this place.
Last night about 10 o'clock the picket alarmed the camp, the "long roll" beat, and such a failing out and falling in I never saw before. The Colonel ordered "lights out," and then such confusion. Some could not find their guns, others could not find their equipments, and although perfect silence was required, one would think the camp was infested by a horde of rebels. Many of the boys were pretty much excited and although strict orders were given not to load a gun, many of them had to load before they could take their place in the ranks. One poor fellow came to me with his gun under one arm, and cartridge box and belt over the other, and begged for me to load his gun, for he did not know how, and he expected the rebels then any minute. I told him not to load until he had orders, and he had better take his place in the ranks. Capt. Slaton and Lieut. Guyer were as calm as men could be. Lieut. Loveland was not very well, but he was on hand. Some of the sick boys turned out that were not really able. After we had formed in line near the rifle pits, and stood about an hour, an orderly came and said all was right and that we might go to our quarters. This morning the boys are talking over the matter and most of them make out that they were on hand, perfectly cool and collected, and wish that the enemy had come, little thinking but what they can fight as well as drilled soldier. We are in rather a precarious situation here, there not being over 3000 for duty on the hill, and no other troops in sight. We may leave this place, I am thinking, one of these nights, for we know of nothing to prevent an enemy from moving down the valley on either side of us. We are near the road where Banks made his retreat. The country shows that an army has passed along. The fences are mostly stone walls, and the gaps show where the men passed through. The weather is very warm, but the boys stand it finely. Every man that can do duty is at work.
I cannot write more now.

Camp Seigel, Winchester, Va., July 31st, 1862

MR. EDITOR: --- As sensation stories are read as eagerly as facts, and spread to a greater distance, I don't know as I can do better to write one, hoping that it may prove true.
Your readers doubtless have all heard of the celebrated female spy, "Belle Boyd", who has taken a prominent part in the present rebellion. Report says that she has been operating successfully about almost the whole length of our line. They got word that she was at Gordonville, and a detective went there. From there he went to Fort Royal, and actually captured and brought to this camp a woman who answered nearly the description of "Belle Boyd", and calls herself by that name.
She is not as good looking as some have represented her to be, although she would pass for a fair damsel. The age of belle has been reported as nineteen, but if we have the genuine Belle here, she is at least six years older, unless much care-worn. Two revolvers were taken from her and a large number of letters from people in the south. She came into camp in a covered carriage, driven by a darky who says he "reckons it mus be Belle, sure". She was escorted by a squad of cavalry. She is very bold faced and is not daunted easily. She is ready to talk to any of the officers, especially if she can get a chance to blow-up on the bloody Yankees. She declared she would not stay on the hill here last night, with so many men, but she found that she could not get away, and submitted as quietly as her nature would allow. We were called out by the "long roll" at 3 1/2 o'clock this morning, and stood until daylight. There was considerable firing on the picket line, but what caused it we have not ascertained.
The boys work every day on the fortifications, and will get what are commenced finished up nearly this week. There has not been a drill of any kind since we came here, not even a Dress Parade.
The citizens of this place are in rather tight quarters. The picket line extends just outside the village, and no one can pass unless they take the oath of allegiance. They cannot even put a letter in the Post Office. Butter is not to be had at any price, except what is made inside the line. Cheese sells at 20cts. I saw a lady pay $9 for three pairs of shoes, two pairs of them childrens. We are in a precarious situation here, but we hope to have reinforcements here soon.
The health of the boys is quite good at present.
Yours truly,
Horace (6)

Winchester, Va., Aug. 4, 1862

MR. EDITOR: --- Today has been the hottest of the season; the boys have suffered while at work on the fortifications. There have been a few cases of sunstroke. A large number of boys are on the sick list.
Our duties, at present. Are severe, but the work goes bravely on. Tonight we received the first mail since we have been here. The mail on Saturday was stolen or miscarried, so that we have been a little lonesome since our arrival here. The Newsdealer was on time tonight, and all the boys were anxious to read it.
Our Major and Surgeon have arrived, and now our list of officers is complete. We have had no drills since we came here and but one Dress parade. The land we now occupy was owned by the rebel, J.M. Mason, Minister to England from C.S.A.
It will take him some time to smooth off the fortifications now being erected here. The house occupied by him is a perfect ruin. It was a beautiful stone mansion, but the wood work has been entirely torn out, so that the owner will find very uncomfortable quarters, if he should ever return again. The people here in Winchester show a very strong secesh proclivity as yet, still a few Union men come out boldly. And take the oath of allegiance, and enjoy the privileges due them, while the rest cannot go past the picket line, or put a letter in the Post Office. There are many who say they would take the oath, but are afraid that Jackson will come back, and then they are afraid they will have to suffer for it. No one can come inside the lines, unless they take the oath, so the people inside are suffering for a great many luxuries and necessities, such as butter, sugar, salt, cheese, fruit, eggs, &c. The cavalry brings in a few prisoners every day.
Nothing exciting has transpired for the last few days.
Yours truly,
Horace (7)

Camp Sigel: Winchester, Va., Aug. 9

MR. EDITOR: --- Everything has its usual appearance this morning. Everybody is busy at work of some kind. Fatigue parties are cutting all the trees down within range of the guns of the forts. Our scouting parties are doing a thriving business. This morning they drove in upwards of fifty head of cattle which has been collected from the Confederate army. Prisoners are being brought in almost every day. Many of the citizens come forward and take the oath of allegiance, while others still stand aloof. Brig. Gen. White, one of the hero's of Pea Ridge, is commander of the post here; and a more polite and energetic man cannot be found. Evidence of improvement are everywhere manifest since he took command. The fortifications are already formidable. The troops are in good spirits, and if an opportunity is offered we will try to give a good account of ourselves. Although attacks are frequently made by guerrillas on our pickets, no causalities have taken place. The boys can rally at night as well as by day.
The report of Belle Boyd's capture I think has proved true, and others in the village may be implicated.
Contrabands are coming in most every day. One found his way to the Gen's quarters the other day. His master, feeling a deep interest in his welfare, walked into camp and kindly suggested to Gen. White that the force of habit being very strong in a contraband he would be more contented in his old home. He proposed therefore to relieve the camp of the encumbrance. "Certainly sir replied the general," step into my tent", and as evidence of you sincerity take the oath of allegiance to the United States". " But I belong to neither sir: I have no government, and owe allegiance to none beside the state"" Then, replied the General, I introduce you to mine."Sescesh demurred, then declined, and finding the general inexorable, became rampant, from the chivalrous son of Dixie was invited to view the fortifications with a spade instead of a spy-glass. Seccesh finally caved in and returned to the village, on parole. His experience in camp has had a very good effect upon others who live in Winchester.
Every day people come to get passes and the provost marshal has all he can attend to. He treats them all kindly, and some go away from his tent unsatisfied but what he is a very gentlemanly person. Although none can get passes unless they take the oath, they are all satisfied that he tried to do his duty impartially.
The weather is very hot and oppressive here. We have not had any rain since we came here. The health of the regiment is very good yet. One from Company D died last night, of dysentery. One other private from is very sick from Co. F. Carelessness in the kind of food and an over-estimate of their digestive powers, caused the sickness and that is one of the greatest things a soldier has to guard against.
We are rejoiced to read of the general outpouring of recruits, for both old and new regiments. The fact is they are needed, and every one that can should respond to the call of our country in its time of peril. The rebellion can be easily put down, if all take hold, while it may perhaps be hard for a few to do it. There are many young men who would gladly come to their country's call, but their father, mother, sweetheart or wife advise them, with tears in their eyes, to stay at home. It is a pity that such fathers do not come themselves. Very soon now the drafting will commence, and who is there that wishes to be drafted, and placed under officers not of their own choice? In the volunteer service we can join any company or regiment he may choose; but in the militia it is a different thing. The officers are appointed, and the privates must submit.
Now Lamoille County boys turn out; don't wait to be drafted. Let the world know that you are not only spunky, but very patriotic. The quicker you respond to your country's call, the sooner we can all go to peaceful homes again. Let not few tears keep you home. You may see the time that blood will flow more freely than tears do now, if you stay at home. We would not have you think that everything is pleasant here and everything lovely, for it is not. The rebellion is to be put down, and the more of you that come to help do it, the quicker it will be done.
Yours truly,
Horace (8)

Winchester, Va, Aug. 16, '62

MR. EDITOR: Everything but the spirit of secession goes on very quietly in this part of the valley. Once in a while the "bushwhackers" trouble our pickets, and the good Union people who live just outside our lines. They come very near us, and drive off horses, cattle, and sheep for the Confederate army, and we cannot protect them with the small force we have here now, for every man on duty has to go on picket, or work on the fortifications, so we can not go out scouting as we would if we had a greater number of men.
Many of the prominent citizens of Winchester are setting a good example, by coming forward and taking the oath of allegiance, showing that the Union sentiment still prevails to some extent in Winchester. Next, to Richmond it is completely contaminated with the most unscrupulous, inconsistent secessionists that can be found in any other town in the State. The reasons they give for not taking the oath are many. Some claim to be of the first families of Virginia, (who ever heard of one of the second families?) who were born and bred under the protection of the best government that ever had an existence, and say they owe no allegiance to any government but the state. Others are prophesying that Jackson will be here soon with his horde of followers, and if they take the oath, he will punish them severely. Still they unanimously agree that they had rather have the Union army hold the place, than have Jackson come and commit such depredations as he did at the time of Bank's retreat, and his own retreat back up the valley.
Everything works beautifully, and if the lesson Banks gave Jackson at Slaughter Mountain the other day, is taken as a warning that his presence in this part of the valley is not needed, we shall soon see all who stand on the " teeter-board of betweenity," either come out boldly for the Union and Constitution, or be sent outside our lines to take care of themselves. Our army has protected the property of rebels long enough, and now we hope to see it turned with its greatest power, against rebellion and treason in all its forms. The late reverse of the rebel army and the unanimous uprising of the North, deeply depress the spirits of the first families of Virginia, at the present time, and if the thing is pushed forward as fast as present appearances indicate, we shall soon see our Union restored, and placed on a stronger basis than ever.
We have once more moved our camp a short distance, and the location is far better than the old one. We have lost six men since we came from Vermont. The health of the regiment is quite good at present. We have not drilled any since we came here, but the boys have worked bravely.
No sensation reports in camp today.
Yours truly,
Horace (9)

Camp Siegel, Winchester, Va. August 24th, 1862

MR.EDITOR: --- The usual quietness of the past few weeks were broken by a Guerilla raid on the town, from Harpers Ferry to this place last evening. A number of conflicting reports have come in but something was up for sure. The train was stopped by trees and rails, being placed across the tracks. An armed force of fifty or more then made their appearance and took all the soldiers prisoners except a Captain, who happened to have on citizens clothes, and he with the citizens were permitted to go. The telegraph wire was cut, and communications were cut off from this place. A messenger was sent from the Lieut. Col commanding at Charleston, that said that he had not forces that could be spared to look after the marauders. Quite a force of cavalry was sent out from here, but what was done we do not know at present. The cars are reported to have been burnt, the mail carried off and quite a sum of money consigned to the Quarter Master at this place. The conductor was wounded in the fray. What other casualties we have not learned. Another report is current that a fight is going on in the direction of Fort Royal. Which may prove true as guns have been heard in that direction since noon today. How true this report may be we cannot tell at present. The boys continue to work on the fortifications yet. The health of the regiment is very good at present. We have lost 7 by disease, one was killed in the cars, and one shot himself the other night He had appeared melancholy through the day, and partially deranged at times. A great numbers of refugees from Richmond have come within the lines the past week. They report extreme suffering among the poorer classes, and say that a majority of the citizens will be glad to see the Union army enter the city. We don't think here that secession is quite played out yet. It is not safe to trust many of the natives, they are apt to divulge some things, which they promise not to, when they take the oath and have the privilege granted them of passing back and forth through the lines. It should not be done to so great an extent as it is. We hope that we may be reinforced, so we can scour the country over, and wipe out what secession there is in the valley. We cannot do it now while so much labor is required for other purposes. At night we have to sleep out in the air either in the forts or some other place. The boys think it hard fun to work all day and then be on the ground all night, but no murmuring; they do it cheerfully and with determination to be prepared, for we know not how soon we may be called on. We try to be vigilant and if the rebels attack us they will meet with a warm reception, so we think.
The weather is somewhat cooler than it was when we first came here, and there is not so many on the sick list. We hope to see some more Green Mountain boys out here soon. We will welcome them with open hearts. No more this time.
Yours truly,
Horace (10)

Camp Buena Vista, Near Harpers Ferry, Sept. 5, 1862

MR. EDITOR: --- As we have somewhat recovered from the effects of our skedaddle and looked over what we have left, we find nearly one-hundred men missing from the regiment: eleven or twelve from Company H., most of them sick, in the hospital. Sergt. J.P. McElroy is missing, probably a prisoner. Luke Potter detailed a nurse in the hospital, H. M. Potter, three Wetherells, Joseph LaPage jr., Corporal Nutting, M. Glougee, A B. Knight, E. Wood, and E.R. Reynolds, sick in the hospital, are all probably prisoners by this time.(11) Surgeon Carpenter volunteered to stay with the boys and take care of them. They will all be paroled, probably as soon as they are able to leave, and allowed to come into our lines. There were four commissioned officers from our regiment in the hospital. Now, what benefit is going to be derived from such a skedaddle, we cannot see at present, but as everything is progressing back ward I suppose they tho't at headquarters we might as well commence a retrograde movement first as last. The boys will never build earthworks with so good spirits again. For five weeks they labored every day, Sundays as well as week days, and now the rebels probably enjoy the benefit of our hard labors.
Such is war, and we as good soldiers will say nothing, but we cannot help thinking there must be a spoke loose somewhere. We are now camped a mile from the ferry on the banks of the Shenandoah, It is a very pleasant place, and high bluffs and rocks remind us of our own Green Mountain home.
How long we shall stay here we do not know, but we do not expect to long. We will try and get rested and prepare for another disgraceful skedaddle. If that is the game, I am sure the 9th Vermont has taken one good lesson, and if the boys feel as mean as they look about it they should each have a bottle of milk sent them immediately. Any change that would take the attention from the past would be a pleasant one.
Yours truly,
Horace (12)

Camp Parole: Annapolis, Md., Sept. 23d, 1862

MR. EDITOR: --- I presume every one in Vermont, is aware of our present situation here. The full details of three days fight at Harper's Ferry, have been read by you all, so I can but write about what we passed through, and that perhaps would not be interesting at all. The 9th were under fire until Sunday, when a general cannonading was opened from Loudon Heights, directly in front of our camp, and distance about 1 1/2 miles. The position of the rebels was very much higher than ours, and the advantage they held was soon manifest. Our batteries replied promptly, and at times completely silenced theirs. The left wing of the 9th were out on picket, and after noon a battery opened on the west side of our camp, and those on picket were directly in range of both, our batteries and the rebels. The shell burst over our heads, and around us, the pieces flying in all directions, but doing no damage to us. At dusk the rebel infantry drove in our pickets, but being strengthened by the 3d Md. And the right wing of the 9th, they were repulsed, and the pickets and men took possession of their old position.
Through the night we were continually on the alert, and shots were exchanged frequently. At day break we were called in, and the 9th once more, nearly all got together, and were drawn in line in front of our batteries. At 5 o'clock A.M., Monday, the ball opened in earnest. The rebels had advanced their batteries to within a short distance of ours, and from several different positions they sent their messengers in copious profusion. From four of their positions the shot and shell fell among the ranks of the 9th, which at the command of the Col., fell on the ground and their remained for three hours changing their position twice.
At 8 o'clock the white flag was raised from our earthworks, but the rebels not seeing it or not caring for it continued the fire for one half hour longer. The 9th was then called up and all found to be alive, although some got a few scratches. Not another regiment was to be seen on the field, and we were very highly complimented for our bravery by the acting Brigadier Gen. Col. Trumble of the 60th Ohio. Col. Stannard displayed his coolness and bravery to all, telling the boys if they would obey his commands, he would see them through safe. His military knowledge probably saved the lives of many. The Col. wrung his hands and showed outwardly the deep feelings of anguish he felt at the surrender, but the boys thought most anything better than laying under such fire as the rebels had poured on us for three hours previous, still they would have done anything asked of them by our brave and noble Colonel. As near as we could learn, the boys on our side in the three days fight was about 150 killed and wounded. The rebels admitted their loss at near four times that number killed. After the capitulation, the Gray backs entered the place and such a sight of ragged, dirty looking men we never saw before. They treated us gentlemanly in almost every instance, allowing us to take all our private effects that we asked for. Gen. Jackson was there, and when he rode through, among his men they cheered as heartily as ours would at the sight of "Little Mac". How many rebels there were there, is mere conjecture, but there was certainly five or ten, where we had one.
Such advantage as they held over us on Monday, could not be overcome by us at so late a day, but many think we should have held Maryland and Loudon Heights, at any peril. Who is to blame for all of this, we do not pretend to know, but there was a spoke loose somewhere, apparent to every one. Thirteen regiments were made prisoners, numbering 12, 060 men as we were told. We were released Tuesday, and passed out of the rebel lines at 12 M that day. We marched all the way from the Ferry here, arriving Sunday night at dark. We have no tents, but fare very well otherwise. We found a larger number already here who have been paroled. Many of the mares being exchanged. A number of the regiments that came with us have left for Camp Douglas, where we expect to go this week. Among the brave boys in Co. H. I would like to mention Wm. Manamon, the oldest man in the Co. he stayed in camp and guarded the officer's baggage, through the whole fight, being almost the only man who staid in the camp of the 9th, and he was not able to do duty at the time. Capt. Slayton and Lieut. Guyer, were all right, and commanded the Co. with coolness, and a determination to do their duty at every peril.
If we ever enter the field again we know that we have officers that we can depend upon. And may that day be not far distant.
Yours truly,
Horace (13)

Camp Near Chicago, Oct. 6, 1862

MR. EDITOR: --- We have at last got stuck in the mud here, in an old trotting park, and using horse stalls for sleeping apartments.
Our journey here was long and tiresome. We took the boat for Baltimore and freight cars the rest of the way. The first day we did not have very good rations, but from Altoona, Pa., to Chicago, we enjoyed a continual ovation. The people turned out in mass to greet us, and with eatables of all kinds they furnished us with enough and to spare. The first night we camped in a grove, and as it rained beautifully through the night, we got exceedingly wet. We were marched into this park the next morning, and found mud and water very plenty, and our accommodations very poor.
We have drawn new clothing since we came here, in lieu of that we lost at Harper's Ferry, so we are quite comfortable now. As to rations, we have suffered very much, not having drawn anything fit to eat since we came here. Our bread has been bad, coffee poor, and most worse, being smoked a little and alive with maggots. We would prefer killing and dressing our own meat, rather than have it in such condition. Never in all our meanderings, have we had such poor rations. Who is to blame we do not pretend to say, but some one is surely.
The citizens talk as though our room would be far preferable to our company and are continually taunting us of being Harper's Ferry cowards, &c. We surely feel our insignificance, but we have some human feelings left. We do not consider that we were to blame for the Harpers Ferry affair, or that we ought to be treated like brutes for it.
The regiment is fast becoming demoralized, but we have never mutinied like some of the paroled prisoners here, who have been in a state of mutiny ever since they came here, and are continually breaking guard and going off to parts unknown. It was a great sell, taking us out here. We were all deceived or we never should have come here. We were promised good quarters and good rations, neither of which have we had. We are prisoners of war and do not expect to live very luxuriously, but we would like to have what little we do have, such as we can eat, and would like to have a good dry camping ground, and not be obliged to stay here in this mud hole.
The boys are sick and growing worse and there will not be a well man in the regiment in three weeks . I don't know what we shall come to, but anything is better than this. The boys would almost starve if they did not get out once in a while and get something to eat. There is three regiments inside the trotting park. The rest of the paroled prisoners are inside Camp Douglas, and by the noise they make occasionally I should think they are in Bedlam.
Hoping that some change will take place soon,
I remain yours truly.
Horace (14)

Camp Douglas, March 4, 1863

MR EDITOR: --- After an absence of ten weeks from Camp Douglas, I have returned and find things materially changed. The loose manner in which things were then carried on, have been changed by Gen. Ammon, commander of the post, who appears to be a good officer, and very strict disciplinarian. Under his watchful eye every thing is conducted in a most military style, much to the discomfort of rowdies, rioters, and all you delight in not obeying orders. The Gen is " up to tricks" and ever ready to punish all neglect of duty, from the highest to the lowest. All feel that now, they must do their duty and are ever ready to perform it, The sick list is very large, numbering probably, near one-half the regiment. Nearly all in this company are afflicted with severe colds. Our guard duty here is very hard, as we have but fifteen privates for duty, and we are all called upon for from five to eight every day; so the poor fellows have but little time to rest.

The rebel prisoners here are a hard looking set of fellows, no two can scarcely be found dressed alike.One-hundred and forty-three regiments are represented, and if we can judge any thing how the regiments look, from what we see here, they must be a sorry looking army of soldiers, They are very peaceable generally, although they have attempted to run guard a few times. Several have taken the oath of allegiance and left camp. Many others probably would do so but for the scoffs and ridicule of their companions. I have talked with some of them who seem to be as sanguine of success as they did when the war broke out; or at least they talk so.

What few of my old companions are left here talk as though they had most of their patriotism left, and say they are ready and anxious to enter the lists and show their devotion to their country, either on the battle-field, or any place where duty leads. Out of nearly one-hundred men that left Lamoille County, nine have died, twenty- eight have been discharged, and five or six have deserted, then leaving but twenty-three sick in the hospital, and seven detailed for hospital purposes, we have a sum total of twenty-seven noncommissioned officers, musicians and privates for duty; but although our numbers are small, our hearts are large, and our devotion to our cause and all its defenders is unlimited. Our regiment is so small that it probably would be better if it could be filled to the maximum number before we enter the field again. I think the patriotic men of Lamoille County, who are liable to be conscripted had better enlist voluntarily in this company, for I will assure them that they will have one good officer left in the company, and as good a Colonel as ever entered the field. We have been unlucky with our Captains, two of them having resigned from this company. The memory of Capt. Slayton is held dear by all who ever served under him. May prosperity attend him through life. Having never served under Capt. Guyer, I can only say that my comrades speak highly of him. Lieut. Bisbee is command of the company now, and is much respected by all the men.

It is very muddy here now, and the little snow we have almost every night, does not improve the parade ground much. I think this is a very unhealthy location, and would be glad to be once more where the ground is predominant.

Yours Truly,

Camp Douglas: March 27, 1863

MR. EDITOR: --- Time is fleeting and changes are taking place here in Company H., as well as in other parts of the world. We have been honored the past week, with three new commissioned officers, Lt. Bisbee has been promoted to Captain, Sergt. Major I. T. Gorham, to 1st Lt., and orderly Sergt. Stillman Stone, to 2d Lieutenant. We are glad to state that their promotions are happily received by the company. The members expressed their approval of the promotion of Lt. Stone by presenting him with a sword and equipments, costing $40.00, or thereabouts. On the evening of the 25th, the company met together in the Co. quarters to make arrangements for the presentation. The meeting was organized by electing L.H. Bisbee, President, Chas. H. Hodge, Clerk: requesting that the proceedings be noted down and forwarded to the Newsdealer, for publication. Sergt. Jas. P. McElory was chosen to make the presentation speech. Cop’l Jas. A. Graves, Sergt. Adin Ballou, and Sergt. S.L. Clark, were appointed a committee to wait upon Lt. Stone, and escort him to the room to receive the presents. This being done Sergt. McElory said: “Lt. Stone, Sir, permit me in behalf of the members of company H to congratulate you on your promotion. I have the honor, sir, as well as the pleasure, in behalf of this company of presenting you this sword, sash, belt, bugle and shoulder straps, of our confidence, gratitude, affection and esteem for you. You have been our Orderly Sergeant from the time we were organized up to the time of your promotion. You have endured with us our hardships, our fatigues, and dangers, and participated in our joys and sorrows. We esteem you for your strict attention to duty and for your soldierly bearing and conduct, especially while in the field and under fire of the enemy. I may be allowed to say sir, without being accused of stooping to flattery, that you showed qualities there that are worthy of a soldier and a patriot. We feel grateful to you because of your incessant labors for the welfare and comfort of the company.
You have won our affection by your impartial courtesy and kindness to all. You have joined with us in our sports and pastimes. When in trouble you have ever been ready to aid us by your counsel. When prostrated by disease you have visited us, and rendered all the aid in your power, by purse as well as hand, by sympathetic words of kindness and encouragement. Be assured, sir, you carry with you to your present position, the best wishes of the company for your prosperity and happiness.
We have confidence enough in you to believe that you will never disgrace this sword, which we have presented to you, that you will use it honorably in defense of your country in its darkest, gloomiest hour, that you will never lay it down while able to use it until the Stars and Stripes shall wave triumphantly over every public building from Maine to Mexico. On receiving the sword Lt. Stone said: “Fellow soldiers of Company H., this is wholly unexpected to me, and I cannot find words to express my gratitude to you for this act of kindness to me. I receive these beautiful gifts as a token of your kindness and esteem, and will try to make myself worthy of the kindness you have ever shown me on this occasion and always since I have been with you. It is the happiest moment of my life, to receive the assurance of having done my duty to you and to my country.
I shall in my new station try to do the same, and I hope and trust that I shall receive your assistance in my efforts to do so. Be assured, fellow soldiers, I shall be with you as long as I am able, and shall endure with you, your fatigues, hardships and dangers. Again, fellow soldiers, for this kindness you have shown me, I will say, in the words of the poet,” I am poor in thanks, but I will thank you”.
Lieut. Gorham being present, made a few happy Remarks2,applicable to the occasion and to his new position in Co. Capt. Bisbee also made a few appropriate Remarks2,closing by stating that a supper was in readiness in the cook’s room, and wishing the company to repair to the table, which we did, all can testify that we enjoyed ourselves while partaking of oysters and smoking cigars. The sutlers of the 9th will please accept our thanks for their generosity on the occasion.
After supper the evening was spent in a happy manner by the company. Listening to toasts and short speeches, delivered by different members of the Co.
As this has taken so much space I will omit the toasts &c. Everything passed of pleasantly and to the satisfaction of all present. We have also a new list of field officers. D.R. Andrews Colonel, vice G.J. Stannard promoted to Brig. Gen., E.L. Stowell Lt. Col., vice Stowell vice Andrus promoted, Ripley, vice Stowell promoted. There is still much sickness in the regt. The weather is beautiful and everything goes pleasantly. News is scarce, so I will close.
Yours truly,
Horace (16)

Camp Hamilton, Near Fortress Monroe, April 13, 1863

MR. EDITOR: --- As we have once more got into camp, perhaps I cannot spend a few minutes more pleasantly than by writing a few lines describing in my poor way few things we have done, and seen since we left Camp Douglass. We, Co. H. and C., left camp Douglas at 8 o’clock a.m., Thursday April 2d, to guard some over 400 rebel prisoners. We marched three miles to the depot of the Chicago Railroad where the prisoners got aboard, and a guard detailed for each car. We started at 10 a.m. Thursday from Chicago, arrived at Pittsburg at 11 a.m. Friday, when we changed cars, and started at 12 m. on the Northern central railroad for Baltimore, where we arrived at 3 p.m. Sunday we marched four or five miles to Fort McHenry, and found comfortable quarters for ourselves and the prisoners, but after dark there came an order, “Guards Fall In!”. Some of us had already got camped for the night, but we always obey orders with alacrity, and in less time then it takes for me to write it, we were in line on each side of the prisoners. We marched nearly two miles to the St. Charles Hotel, which was appropriated to us and the prisoners. We stayed there two nights and two days, when another squad of about 200 prisoners, mostly officers, were turned over to us, but as we had a boat-load they had to be aboard another boat and wait until the next morning.
Tuesday the 7th, at 6 p.m., we went aboard the steamer Robert Morris and steamed down the harbor about two miles, and anchored for the night. Capt. Bisbee was in command of those on the Robert Morris, and Capt. Seligson, of the officers on board the other boat.
At 2 a.m., the 8th, we started for Fortress Monroe, where we arrived at 6 p.m., took on some coal, and steamed out a short distance and anchored for the night. At 10 a.m., we weighed anchor and steamed up to City Point. We passed a great many vessels, transports, gunboats &c., of all kinds, sizes, and shapes.
At 6 p.m., the 9th, we arrived at City Point, a distance of 80 miles from the Fortress, and 40 miles from Richmond by rail. We anchored for the night, and had to wait until a guard arrived from Petersburg to receive the prisoners, which were not exchanged, but paroled. Toward night, on the 10th, a guard arrived, and the prisoners were delivered over to them in due form, but it was so late we had to anchor for the night, as it is not safe for a boat to sail on these rivers in the night at present.
Saturday, the 11th, at 6 1/2 a.m. we started down the river and had a very pleasant trip. The Robert Morris arrived at Fortress Monroe at 1 o’clock p.m. and we marched about two miles to Camp Hamilton. Those who came on before us had got our tents pitched for us, and we were truly thankful, for we had been on constant duty for 10 days, and traveled nearly fifteen-hundred miles. The remainder of our company just arrived and seemed to be glad to get once more into camp. Co. G. is still in Chicago, waiting to take those left in the hospital.
We shall be glad when our regiment once more gets together, for we are here within hearing of heavy cannonading today, and are liable to be called out at any time, as the enemy is but a few miles distant, and are pushing hard upon our boys who are in the advance. The 9th N.Y. Hawkins Zouave regiment was in camp here when we came here, but left Saturday to reinforce at Suffolk. They met the enemy and repulsed it, but lost their leader Lieut. Col. Kimball, formerly of Cabot, Vt. He was a noble man, and had passed through fourteen battles unscathed. He was here in our camp but a few hours before he was killed, and said that he had escaped so far, but he expected to receive the whole of it when he was hit. We have no news of what is transpiring about us, but know that something is up. I have not time to describe many interesting things we have seen on our journey, but will say that we got enough of Camp Douglass, and are glad of a change.
Yours truly,
Horace (17)

Picket Post On The Banks Of The Nansemond River
Near Suffolk, Va. April 26, 1863

MR. EDITOR: --- The 9th Regt. Is now encamped in the woods near the banks of the Nansemond River, below Suffolk about three miles. It is in a very pleasant grove of pines, and the boys like it very well. We came here the 17th, and have been on constant duty since. The boys work on the fortifications one day and go on picket the next. When we sleep in camp we are called out in line one hour before day-break, and stand till sunrise. A regt. was called out to go about five miles, to hold rifle pits while a large force went out on reconnaissance. We went out in the rain and mud such as is only found in Va., and stayed until about 10 p.m., when we were ordered back to camp.
What the result of the expedition was, we have not learned but conclude that we gained nothing. There has been heavy cannonading and some skirmishing near here for about 19 days. The rebel pickets can occasionally be seen across the river, which is not very wide. They shoot at our pickets and men who work on the fortifications, and when our boys get out of patience they shoot back. There has been quite a number of gun boats on the river, but the rebel batteries kept up such a fire on them that they left river. Our men occasionally cross the river, and have taken one battery and 112 prisoners at one time. I do not know how many men we have here, but probably from twenty to thirty thousand, and probably the rebels have many more, for about all we do is keep them out of the place. It would be a hard place for them to take, for it is well fortified, and the pits extend all around it. We feel perfectly safe from an attack at present, but don't think we have men enough here to make an advance. Maj. Gen. Peck commands the army here. There are many New England Regts. here, but none from Vermont. We have hoped that one of the Vermont Brigades will come here, for we would like to be brigaded with men from our own state. At present we are not brigaded, but are under command of Brig. Gen. Getty. The weather has been very rainy and cold most of the time since we came here. Today the sun shines but the air is cold enough to wear our overcoats. The boys are quite healthy now. Our company has 36 enlisted men here, and but one in the hospital. Our rations are very good, hard "tack" is the hardest of all. Yesterday we drew rations of soft bread for the first time since we came here. Co. G. still remains at Chicago. What few men we have here, are in the best condition they have been in since we left Vt. If we could have enough such to fill the Regt., we should be alright. Two Asst. Surgeons arrived here last night for our Regt. Probably the daily papers will give more news of what is going on here than I can do, so I will close.
Yours truly,
Horace (18)

Camp Near Suffolk, Va., May 6, 1863

MR.EDITOR: --- We have once more moved our camp from the banks of the Nansemond, north of Suffolk, to the south of town. The distance was about five miles. We have now a pleasant situation, but our duties have been hard until the enemy skedaddled, which they did on the night of the 3d. Our men followed them closely and took many scattering prisoners. They fell back to Blackwater, and perhaps have gone to reinforce Lee, in front of Hooker. On the 4th, Gen. Corcoran, went with two regts., and scoured the country south of here, but found none of the enemy in force, but took two or three hundred straggling rebels, prisoners. Yesterday the 9th were called on to go out four or five miles to destroy the breastworks that the rebels had built on the Edenton road. We found the works much stronger than any that we had ever built, being from ten to fifteen feet in thickness and six feet high. Ours scarcely ever exceed three or four feet in thickness, and four or five in height. They had also placed an abbattis of tree tops with timbers sharpened, and sharpened stakes in front of the breastworks so that a cavalry or infantry charge would have been an impossibility. We worked hard until night, to demolish the works, but made but little headway. We came back to camp at night and as the morning has been quite rainy, have not as yet started to finish the destruction.
The boys of this regiment are quite healthy, that is, what there are here. Co. H. is now fourty-eight men all told, just one half the number we had when we left Hyde Park ten months ago. We have but nineteen privates here for duty today. Death and disease has used us up, to our present small number, but I am happy to say that what we have here, are as good men as can be found in any company. They are ready for any emergency at any time, and have been on constant duty since we left Camp Chicago, both night and day with scarcely a murmur from any one.
Where our next destination will be we do not know, but as the rebels have left, we probably shall leave soon, as quite a large portion of the army, that was in camp here one week ago has left.
We have good tidings from our army in all parts, and hope soon to hear of the finishing up of the rebellion which has already cost lives and money enough. The country about here was beautiful, but now is a desolate as the Great Sahara of Africa.
Yours truly,
Horace (19)

Yorktown, Va., June 24, 1863

MR. EDITOR: --- You will see by the date of this, that the ninth regiment has once more pulled up stakes and moved a distance of fifty miles or more to Yorktown. The ninth regiment is great for excursions, always on the alert, for we are most of the time under marching orders.
We left Suffolk on the 17th, and arrived here on the 18th. We took cars for Norfolk, and an old hunk of a transport from there to this place. A steamboat is a very pleasant thing in fine weather and on a good boat, but to stow away a regiment of men on board a boat, not half large enough for their accommodations in hot weather, and pack them in between the engines, where in a cold day it would be oppressively warm, and no water to be had short of ten-cents a drink is piling on most too much. On the deck where Co. H was tumbled in, the water was at times two or three inches deep, much to the damage of knapsacks, clothing &c. Luckily for us there were but a few of us, and we of course could not find but little fault.
At the present time the village of Yorktown is of but little consequence, although it figures conspicuously in the history of the Revolution, and in this present rebellion. Many things of importance have transpired here, and those traveling for pleasure will always find much here to gratify their curiosity. The village is completely encircled by a very strong earthwork with heavy siege guns in position. Inside the fort still remains much of the earthwork thrown up by the British in the Revolutionary War.
The spot where Cornwallis surrendered his sword to Washington, it pointed out not more than ten rods from our present camp. The Union cemetery is just back of our camp, where lies the bodies of more than 500 of our brave soldiers. When we visit the works built and occupied by the rebels at the time McClellan commenced his operations here, we do not wonder that he was a long time in driving them out. The wonder is that he drove them out at all. I suppose now that another Peninsula campaign has commenced. The 7th Army Corps is here, and on its way westward from this place.
Our brigade has received orders to hold themselves in readiness to march with three days rations, and sixty rounds of cartridges. Our knapsacks, blankets, and all extra clothing has been packed away inside the fort, so now we have nothing but our rubber blankets and shelter tents, with one change of underclothing, muskets, munitions and rations to carry. Since writing the above, another order has come, to take our knapsacks, and all garrison and camp equipage. Rumors are afloat, that we are to take transports for West Point, or White House. Well, we are ready to go anywhere necessary. To put down the rebellion, but we are a little suspicious that this move may be too late to steal a march on the over watchful rebels. I cannot say that we fancy the idea of spending a summer in the Chickahominy swamps, but we hope for a good strike. The health of the company is quite good at present . Lt. Col. Ripley has been promoted to Col, vice Andrus, resigned. Capt. Barney, is Lt. Col, and Capt. Jarius, Maj., Capt. Bisbee, having resigned, we are once more without a Capt. Lieut. Gorham we left sick at Suffolk. Lieut. Stone has command of the Co. at present. The boys all love him, and will follow him to the bitter end.
The weather is beautiful now, and we cannot ask for a better time to move. Hoping that we may have good success in this present forward movement, I remain,
Yours truly,
Horace (20)

Camp On The Banks Of Pamunkey River
Near West Point, Va. June 27, '63

MR. EDITOR: --- Another slight turn of the wheel of war, and we find ourselves here, thirty five miles above Yorktown at West Point. The junction of the Pamunkey, and Mattapony rivers. These two rivers from York River.
We struck tents at Yorktown the 25th, and went aboard the steamer Kennebec, and after a very nice comfortable ride we found ourselves anchored at West Point. We stayed on board the boat through the night, all but one Co., who had to go on shore in small boats for pickets. The wharf had been burned only one week before, by the rebels, but a fatigue party repaired it so we steamed up along side and went on shore in the morning. We found part of the 19th Wisconsin here, which had also landed in small boats. We marched about two miles, and are now camped inside the earthworks near the 19th. We have quite a large number of men to furnish for guards. Our duty will be picket and guard duty while we stay here. We have the prettiest camp ground that we have ever had.
The village here is of no importance. At the present I think seven white families reside in the village.
The 7th Army Corps has passed on up the river to White House. How many there is of them, or what they intend to do is not known by us at present; however we trust they will give a good account of themselves. We shall probably stay here to guard the miserable swamp, until some move is made that will relieve us. The 99 and 118 regiments of our brigade have gone up the river.
We have not seen a paper since we left Yorktown, consequently do not know much more of what is passing than takes place between the fortifications here and the village. No one can go to the village, either officer or private, without leave from the Col.
The weather is very fine and cool, with an occasional shower. The health of the regiment never was better than at present.
All that we can complain of is that we have to stay back here forty miles from Richmond, while the rest of the 7th army corps are at present much nearer.
Yours truly,
Horace (21)

Yorktown, July 9TH, 1863

MR. Editor: --- The 9th regiment has once more pitched tents at Yorktown. July 7th, and 9th, at 9 o’clock p.m., we had orders to strike tents, pack up everything, and be ready to go on board the transport “Hero” at 10 1/2 o’clock. We were at the deck on time, but we waited two hours for a battery to go on board, and at 4 a.m. we started. We had a very pleasant trip down the York River to this place, where we arrived at 8 o’clock. We went outside the fort, to our old camp ground, pitched tents and remained through the next night. Today we have moved inside the fort, into quite comfortable barracks vacated by the 179th Penn. We have the promise of remaining here for a long time and garrison this fort. It requires 93 privates, 12 non- commissioned officers and three commissioned officers daily to guard this fort. Another regiment is to man the guns. It will be very hard for the boys to do this duty unless they have help from some other regiment.
Today is the first anniversary of our regiment in the U.S. Service. The year has seemed short to most of us, but our number has fell short almost one-half, showing that we as soldiers have endured hardships and privations not found in civil life.
I would not say that this is the best regiment from Vermont, but I would say that the generals that have been placed over us have given us the name of being the best they had for duties of any kind.
I will draw this to a close, hoping to hear that peace is declared when every vestige of secession, nullification and disloyalty is blotted out, and the Flag of our Union triumphantly waves over all the land where treason and traitors have found shelter, and not till then.
May the glorious victories of the past few days be closely followed by others.
Yours truly,
Horace (22)

From The 9th Regiment
Fort Yorktown: July 26, 1863

MR. EDITOR: As cavalry raids have seemed to be in high style with our army for a few months past, I don’t know as I can do better than to write the particulars one made by the 7th Vt. Infantry on the 25th.We started with two-hundred and fifty men from Yorktown, at 2 o’clock A.M., on a gun-boat and steamed up the river to Cappahosick Landing, a distance of twenty miles, where once there was a respectable wharf, but now a part of it remains, consequently we had to land in small boats. The officers had to leave their horses on board. After landing the regiment was divided into 2 detachments, one of six companies, under command of Col. Ripley, and the other four companies under command of Lieut. Col. Barney. Orders were then issued to search every plantation, house, and other building, and seize every horse and mule that were serviceable, and all fire arms, equipments, ammunition &c., and to give all the colored people opportunity to leave with us. The detachment under Col. Ripley took the road direct to Gloucester. Before we arrived at the court house, all the officers were mounted on horses with saddles and bridles, and the hospital corps were well supplied with carriages and wagons for all who could not march rapidly. On our arrival at the court house we found a battalion of 2d Mass. Cavalry which had scoured the country for miles around, and thus saved us much travel. A rebel mail carrier with quite a large mail just from Richmond was coming in, and was captured by some of our boys. We rested a while and marched to Gloucester, where we found col. Barney’s detachment, also the 118th N.Y. and a battery, which had been sent out to support us in case of an attack. We rested for two or three hours, meantime a heavy thunder-shower passed over, giving us a good drenching, and again marched for Gloucester Point, opposite Yorktown. We crossed on the ferry boat and arrived in camp once more at 7 o’clock, P.M.
The amount of property captured was not large, some twenty-five horses and mules fit for service were brought in, and as many turned loose Several carriages and wagons, most of them of little value, several different kinds of fire-arms, most of them of very ancient sate, and a few prisoners and contrabands. Almost all the negroes preferred stopping on the plantations. We marched from twenty-five to thirty miles. It being a very hot day, the boys were pretty well used up, and had it not been for the captured animals, some of them must have been left. As it is, nearly all will be ready for another jaunt on the morrow.
Everything here at Yorktown remains quiet. Two blocade- runners were captured near here a short time since, and taken to Fort Monroe.
The regular routine of garrison duty is going on here every day, besides large details daily for police and labor parties. Another expedition is talked of, to scour the country further up the river. All we can say of it now is, we hope to be there,
It has rained almost every day since we came here, consequently it is quite cool and the air is bracing.
A detachment of the 9th left here last week to escort the drafted men destined for this regiment to this place. We hope to have enough to fill the regiment full.
The end of the rebellion seems close at hand, but war with England and France seems imminent. Let it come, we had all rather fight the Johny Bulls and Copperheads than the rebels; and whenever justice and national honor demands war with foreign nations, then we are ready to meet them.
Horace (23)

Lieut. C.H. Hodge, of the 9th, from Stowe, sends us a copy of the “The Cavalier,” published at Yorktown, Va., dated July 27th, from which we copy the following:

Early on the morning of the 25th inst., the U.S. Steamer Commodore Jones, Capt. Mitchell left Yorktown, with the 9th Vt. Regiment, Col. E.H. Ripley, commanding, on board. The steamer reached Cappahosack about daylight and the troops disembarked and immediately pushed on for Gloucester Court House, except four companies under Lieut. Col. Barney, who proceeded down the shore to Gloucester Point. Meantime a squadron of the 2d Massachusetts Cavalry at Gloucester Point, commanded by Capt. Reed, advanced to Gloucester Court House and effected a junction with Col. Ripley. This movement was supported by the 118th New York Volunteers, under Lieut. Col. Keese, and a section of Capt. Fitch’s ( 8th N.Y.) battery.
No enemy were seen. But it was learned that some forty rebel cavalry had left Gloucester Court House the evening before. About a dozen horses, two wagons and a quantity of arms were seized. But the most fortunate haul was the capture of a rebel mail-carrier, containing a large number of late papers, and letters, which are not unlikely to convey valuable information.
The troops comprising the expedition all returned to their respective camps about retreat the same day.
We are informed that on this occasion the 9th Vermont Vols, performed a march of thirty miles, without a man dropping from the ranks.(24)

The Fifth (sic) Regiment
Newport B’ks, N.C.
December, 26, 1863

MR. EDITOR: --- It is very seldom that we of the 9th Regiment have occasion to retrieve the monotony of camp life, by any scouting parties or other duties that necessarily causes us to leave our camp for any length of time, but on the evening of the 23d, we were agreeably surprised by an order to have three days rations and sixty rounds of cartridges ready, and that we must be ready to start on short notice, in light marching order. During the night the order was changed several times and at last it was for a detail of eighty men --- the best there was in camp ---which, in fact, took all the well ones nearly. At 7 o’clock A.M., on the 24th a train of cars arrived and took the men on board and went to Morehead City, where they found about the same number of the 158th N.Y., ready, and all went on board the Gunboat “Daylight.” After some delay and the gunboat smashing off the wheel-house of another boat, they got underway, went out the harbor, past Fort Macon, and down the coast thirty miles or more near Swansboro. The gunboat could not go near the shore on account of the depth of the water and the men had to be landed in small boats towed along for the occasion. It was near dark when they all go stowed in the small boats, and they rowed until late at night and at last found themselves stuck fast in the mud, and what made the matter worse was the tide was fast leaving and there they spent their Christmas eve. The wind swept over the water furiously, and the chilly damp air penetrated their clothing, while an occasional wave would dash over the side of the small boats and completely saturated them with the briny liquid. They were too cold to sleep, to wet to lie down, and through the long cold, dreary night, they stood up, and sat around, while the Colonel gallant and brave, shared the uncomfortable night with them.
At last day break appeared and the tide coming in, raised the boats, a channel was found and the men landed.
The purpose of the expedition was to destroy rebel salt Works, so the men were deployed as skirmishers and started back into the country, while another party destroyed four large Salt Works with several hundred bushels of salt that could not be taken away. The line of skirmishers were fired upon, but luckily no one was hurt.
After the accomplishment of all that was required they fell back, and once more went on board once more the small boats and thence to the gun-boats and all having got on board they started back toward Moorehead City, where they arrived the morning of the 26th, and were in camp at 3 o’clock p.m. the same day. A few prisoners and several colored people were taken on board.
The boys feel highly pleased with the success that attended them, and their praises of Colonel Ripley who had charge of the skirmishers; his daring bravery and coolness while under fire, almost amounts to worship.
Since the loss of Maj. Jarvis who was the idol of us all, we more deeply feel for the need of other good men for our Field officers, and while we mourn for his untimely death we know that Col. Ripley and Lt. Col Barney, we have officers gallant and brave, affable and kind, and faithful to the country and the men under their command.
Our camp as again assumed its customed stillness since the return of the boys. We are all longing for another occasion to pay a visit to rebel soil.
The health of the boys is very good at the present time. The weather here is splendid. We anxiously await the result of our recruiting party’s visit to Vermont. Hoping that there are those who feel their only true way to honor and glory is by volunteering in some good regiment, say the 9th.
I remain yours truly,
Horace (25)

From the Ninth Regiment
Picket Station, near Newport Barracks, N.C.
Feb. 8, 1864

MR. EDITOR: --- The past eight days have been days of confusions badly confused, with the 9th Vt. Regiment, the details of which I cannot at present fully attempt to describe. The most I can say is, we have had a severe time and have suffered considerably.
Co. H. was stationed at Gales Creek, about 7 miles from Newport Barracks, and as the rebels had attacked our forces near New Berne, we were advised of the fact, and had made all the preparations we could for any emergency that might arise. We strengthened our pickets and twenty-five cavalry were sent out in advance two miles beyond. We had received forty-three new recruits who were mostly unarmed. On the 2d about 8 o’clock in the morning the cavalry picket was attacked by about three times their own number of the enemy’s advance guard, who drove our cavalry in to the station, and also the infantry pickets, and dashed in the straight road toward Newport Barracks. When men of Co. H were around, were quickly in line and ready to receive whatever the enemy might afterwards make appearance.
We had not long to wait before the enemy’s infantry and artillery came in on another road leading directly to our quarters. Our pickets fired and fell back and soon their battery commenced shelling our barracks, which was once a meeting house. The new recruits who were unarmed were sent toward the block house near Bogue Sound, a distance of three miles, where company B was stationed. The enemy charged with their infantry on our quarters, and seeing their number, Capt. Gorham who was in command of Co. H fired upon them and retreated back into the woods toward Newport Barracks. The enemy charged down the road toward the block house, with a large force of cavalry and awaited the arrival of their infantry when they formed in line and advanced on Co. B, who were in the rifle pits and gave them a very warm reception, killing and wounding a large number of the enemy. The rebels steadily advanced until they nearly surrounded the block house, when Co. B retreated to the woods closely followed by the rebels. The enemy then took the direct road to Newport Barracks --- distance three miles. The seven companies of the 9th who were at the Barracks, met about half way, and a severe engagement took place. Co. H. arrived in time to join in the melee and fell into line. Capt. Gorham took command of our line of skirmishers, and by his coolness and daring bravery won the esteem of every one under his command.
The rebel columns came on out of the woods in all directions and with overwhelming numbers, pushed the 9th boys back, inch by inch, and a last finding that they could not long hold out against so great odds, retreated back to the barracks which they burned with all the commissary stores and then crossed the bridges toward Newport which they also burned.
The Co. of 2d Massachusetts Heavy Artillery, stationed at the barracks showed the white feather generally, not a gun being fired from the fort. Also a detachment of the same regiment, stationed in a small fort at Newport spiked their guns and left without firing them once.
The rebels had several pieces of artillery, while our boys had but one or two that were used.
The regiment fell back to Beaufort by the main road, distance 25 miles, where they arrived Wednesday noon, and crossed over to Morehead City where they commenced working on earth-works, and doing picket duty.
The regiment being stationed at so many different places, were much scattered, and men came in through Wednesday and Thursday; one, two, three at a time, until at this date, some 75 covers our loss in killed, wounded, and missing. Fourteen are missing from Co. H, probably prisoners.
The 21st. Conn. Regiment having arrived from Fortress Monroe, we once more advanced up to Newport Barracks, on the 5th, and found no enemy present. On the 6th scouting parties were sent out, some of which had a skirmish with the enemy at Gale’s Creek, and discovered a large number of infantry , two batteries of artillery, and one regiment of cavalry. On Saturday night our two regiments were posted in good positions, but the enemy advanced from every approach in such numbers, that it was thought best to fall back, which we did in the night toward Morehead City about three miles, and then advanced to the barracks Sunday, where we are doing picket duty on today. Scouting parties are being sent in all directions, but what the result will be, I know not. We found several graves in different places, and one dead body stripped of clothing, and left unburied.
How many of our regiment were killed, we do not know. Four of our wounded were found near the block house who were paroled by the rebels, but their wounds were uncared for. The boys have lost all their clothing and blankets, excepting a few who managed to hang on to them.
The new recruits at the barracks were unarmed the day of the fight, and all of them fought like veterans.
The number of the muskets in our regiment was not far from 500, those of the enemy from 3000 to 5000.
Take it all around we have had a hard time, especially for new recruits of which our regiment was one-half or more composed. What the result of the fight was at New Berne, we are unable to know, as our communications are cut off at present. The 21st Conn. is with us --- about 700, and we feel quite safe or should if we had any artillery, with men who would not run, to work it.
Lt. Holman of Co. G is missing, and Lt. Button of Co. C, is badly wounded, that I think is all the officers lost in the fight.
Corporal S. M. Reynolds, private A.H. Cote, E.W. Hovem, I. D. Finnegan and C.F. Freeman, are all of the old members of Co. H. that are missing.
Hope that this imperfect sketch may interest some of your readers. I remain,
Yours &c,
Horace (26)

“Gales” Creek Station, N.C., March 3, 1864

MR. EDITOR: --- As everything is very unquiet in this part of the redeemed portion of rebeldom, I will just write a few lines which may interest some. Co. H. is again at or near our its old station, in all the vigor of its former days. We have been strengthened by fifty-six recruits --- and all whom are present, are armed and accounted. Cos. B and E. are stationed near by, also one company of cavalry.
We have blockaded every approachable road, and rifle pits have been made in all good positions. A gun-boats cutter and crew with a howitzer, are stationed at the mouth of “Gales” Creek, on this sound, guarding our left flank. Co. A and G. are also at the front, on our right, doing picket duty and blockading the roads. In camp, every available man, white, black, citizens, are at work erecting breastworks, falling trees, &c. The excitement there is intense, while out here on the front, only seven miles, we feel as cool and as safe as though there were no rebels.
Well, now for the cause of this hub-bub: --- The rebels came here in force on the 2d of February, gave us a severe thrashing, got badly punished, retreated back in a desperate hurry, and left word they should come and do it again soon; That is all I can find for foundation for any alarm. It is true that our cavalry have been out 14 miles and did not see a rebel, and on the next day, which was the 29th ult. They went out 6 miles and saw two mounted armed, who left in so great a hurry that one of them dropped his sabre, and our men picked it up. Since then all manner of reports have come in. Some say the rebel pickets are within four miles, others say the contrary. One cavalry soldier accidentally discharged his carbine, the contents of which passed through his foot. That accident was magnified to a skirmish when it got to camp, and so it goes. A man in Co. E. was accidentally shot by a revolver yesterday, and a citizen was killed while felling trees, and many other accidents have happened within two or three days, all going to keep us a great excitement.
Today Lieut. Col. McNary, of the 158th N.Y. Vols., was thrown from his horse, while coming to “Gales” Creek, in company of Col. Jourdan of the Sub. Dist. and Col. Ripley, commander of the post. He is thought to be dangerously injured.
While the rebs held Newport barracks, on the 3d of Feb., they cut the telegraph wires, attached their machines and sent a telegram to Col. Jourdan, that everything was alright at the barracks, and signing Col. Ripley’s name the dispatch. The Col. Was absent at Fortress Monroe, so the operator at Morehead City knew the rebs were trying to play a trick. A dispatch was sent back, directed to Col. Ripley, to hold the place at all hazards, &c, &c. Several dispatches went back and forth, when at last they sent up word that the steamer S. R. Spaulding had arrived with 4000 troops!, but the wires were mute. “Johnny Reb” left double-quick, and did not stop until they were safe from their imaginary enemies. The rebs got scared, as well as we.
There is good reason to believe that the rebels are gathering a force in this state which will probably lay siege to some of the places we now hold in the state. It is very prudent perhaps to use a great deal of energy to guard against any attack, but this excitement only leads to confusion, which I trust will soon be over. Our tents have all been taken away to a more secure place, leaving the men in the open air. Tents cost money, but can be piled away to mould and rot. Men who cost the government more, each one of them, than tents sufficient for a whole company are left exposed to rains and cold nights, causing the seeds of disease and death, to be deeply rooted among them. I suppose it may all be military, but don’t believe it to be common sense.
The health of this company was never better than at present. Trusting that this alarm may prove a scare.
Yours truly
Horace (27)

From The 5th Regiment (sic)
Beechwood Station, N.C.
August 30, 1864

MR. EDITOR: It is with many misgivings that I attempt to write at this time, knowing that while in other parts the armies are hard at work in the “glorious cause,” and here everything is as quiet as in times of peace. Occasionally a few rebels make themselves ridiculous by a descent upon some of our pickets, or by removing a portion of track from the rail road, which can be no help to them, and only causes a little confusion with us for a few hours.
All the troops that could be spared from the district were taken away at the opening of the spring campaign; and scarcely enough left here to do picket duty.
July 11th our regiment came to New Berne, and we are now doing picket duty at the outposts, generally one company in a place. Co. H. is stationed several miles from New Berne, doing picket duty on the railroad leading to Morehead City. We have the most pleasant camp we ever had, and have our tents “stockaded” in a beautiful street covered with a bower extending across the country road, to and over the officers tent, and making it as cool and pleasant as a soldier could expect. We are but a short distance from the Neuse River, where the men bathe twice. The country about our immediate vicinity is quite low, and the continuous rains of July and August have made it very damp and muddy
The health of the company is far better than that of any other in the regiment, there but three or four unable to do duty. The boys are feeling first rate; and though the guard duty is hard, they do it cheerfully. Yesterday our usual quietude was disturbed by a squad of rebels who came from the opposite side of the river in boats, and marched to the rail road, four miles below our station, and captured a hand car, which had four colored men aboard, killing one, and wounding two others. They then loosened a rail, just before the morning train to New Berne came along, which caused quite a smash up. The engine passed over unharmed; six cars were thrown from the tracks, three of them being demolished. The train was loaded with passengers, but luckily only one was seriously injured.
One soldier from the 2d Mass. Heavy Artillery, had his thigh fractured so badly, that the surgeon thinks it doubtfully about his recovery. It was probably the intention to rob the train, but as it happened there was a large number of men on board, and a few soldiers with arms. Co. H. was up and after them as soon as the news arrived, but the weather being quite warm by the time we had marched four miles, some of them were “played out.” All who could march were deployed as skirmishers and the country was all hunted over for miles around. At length we found their trail which we followed for miles coming in sight of them once. We learned where they landed, went and found their boat which was a fine Yawl capable of carrying thirty men; probably once it was a boat belonging to some vessel.
It being near night and all tired, hungry, and wet, fourteen of us jumped on board, and with a few poles we started. It was three or four miles to the river down through a narrow creek; but we worked along splendidly, until we met a small schooner going up the creek after turpentine. We informed the master of the trouble, when he immediately “about ship,” took us in “tow,” headed toward New Berne, and when we got nearly opposite our camp we managed to get on shore and into camp, where we arrived at 10 o’clock p.m.
Our company was sent down from New Berne to the scene of the disaster, where they hunted in vain for the raiders. The number of raiders was from twenty to thirty as near as we could learn. Today the track is cleared, repaired, and two or three trains have run over the road undisturbed. We have settled down into our usual routine of duty, and are again ready for action.
Well, I have stretched this out very long, and I must if I write anything, for there is so very little to write about.
Perhaps it may be vanity to say, that at this time, no company stands higher than the 9th Vermont, Co. H., from “Spunky Lamoille.” Capt. Gorham is alive to all that goes toward efficiency, and is a strict disciplinarian, he knows his duty, and does it. More anon.
Yours truly,
Horace (28)

Camp In The Field, Near Bermuda Hundreds, Sept. 16, 1864

MR. EDITOR: The 9th Vt. Has at last entered the field. We are now bivouacked on the left of the 1st Div. 18th Army Corps. We had a splendid trip to Bermuda Hundreds, landed and marched about 6 miles and, as yet, are not assigned to any brigade or division.
Gen. Stannard is in command of the 1st Div, and we hope to be assigned to the same. We are one and one half miles from the James River and one mile from Appomattox, close up to the front. The rebel lines are within one half mile. The distance to Petersburgh is 6 miles, to Fort darling.
The picket lines are within a few rods of each other and the pickets hold converse daily. There is not any firing between the pickets, but on the right and left of the line there is occasional cannonading.
The canal on our right is progressing slowly but surely.
The Howlett House battery causes considerable excitement to the laborers, but very few casualties are reported.
We know no more of what is passing in front of Petersburgh than we should if it was a hundred miles away, but we are within sight of it, and within hearing of the guns.
When we are assigned to our position, and get settled down, I will write again
Yours truly,
Horace (29)



MR. EDITOR: ---Having returned from a twenty-four hours tour of picket duty, I will attempt to write you a few lines.Fifteen officers and three hundred and seventy enlisted men was the detail from this regiment to picket a line two miles long in front of the 2d division. We started at 5 P.M., on the 16th, and again about dark had relieved the old pickets. The relief marched on the rear of our outer line of works, in full view of the rebel pickets; but no disturbance or anxiety was manifested by the Johnny"s, The line is not more than five hundred yards from the rebel line at any point, and in many places not more than one hundred. In many places the Videttes are within fifteen yards, and at one point both union and rebels obtain their water from the same spring. No firing or conversation is allowed, but the rebels will "talk" continually, and occasionally one of our boys would answer them back. The trains running on the Rail Road, between Petersburg and Richmond can be seen at the short distance of one mile. It seems too bad that we do not have possession of that road.

A cannonading and considerable musket firing was distinctly heard in the direction of Petersburg, yesterday,----also at Dutch Gap, heavy guns were often heard. At the front of the "Army of the James", everything is very quiet, excepting at Dutch-Gap, where the laborers on the canal are often driven from their work. Troops are pouring in very fast. One-hundred and seventy arrived for our regiment yesterday, and are not yet assigned to their companies. Our regiment is now full to the maximum. I do not know that this regiment is assigned to any particular brigade yet. Gen. Stannard, formerly our Col., made us a call the other day. The boys were much pleased to see him once more. He is looking quite well,

It has just commenced raining, and I think we may pass an uncomfortable night, but a few have their tents pitched.

Yours truly.

In The Trenches, Chapins' Bluff, Va. Oct. 3, 1864

MR. EDITOR: --- We are having stirring times here these days.
On the morning of the 29th, ult., the 18th A.C. moved to the north side of the James. We crossed at Deep Bottom and skirmishing soon commenced. We advanced to this place, when the 1st division captured a fort with a large number of prisoners.
The 2nd division then took the lead and the 9th Vt. was deployed in line of battle, and lookers on said they made the most splendid charge ever made in the 18th A.C. At any rate the works were carried. Not an officer or man faultered but all pushed nobly on led by our gallant Col. who kept the advance. Our colors were firmly planted on the parapet of the rebel works, and soon again the regiment was formed and pushed on.
Our regiment captured several pieces of artillery and many prisoners. Our loss through the day was heavy, but I have been unable to fully ascertain the exact number.
Co. H. lost Freeman Baker, killed; Octave Bushby and Oberon Payne, severely wounded, and 2 or 3 missing. The loss of the regiment was 8 killed, 37 wounded, and 60 missing.
Many unsuccessful attempts have been made by the rebels to retake the works but so far have been repulsed
The losses of the 18th Corps have been large, but the rebels have lost a great many more.
Everything goes gloriously, and we are in the best of spirits. We have plenty of rain and mud. We feel sure that Richmond will be ours very soon. The distance from here to Richmond is eight miles. It is reported that our advance is within four miles and that scouting parties go within two miles.
Everything goes lovely.
Horace. (31)


(1) Lamoille Newsdealer, July 11, 1862

(2) Lamoille Newsdealer, 7/18/1862

(3) Lamoille Newsdealer, 7/18/1862

(4) Lamoille Newsdealer, 8/1/1862

(5) Lamoille Newsdealer, 7/25/1862

(6) Lamoille Newsdealer, 8/8/1862

(7) Lamoille Newsdealer, 8/15/1862

(8) Lamoille Newsdealer, 8/22/1862

(9) Lamoille Newsdealer, August 29, 1862

(10) Lamoille Newsdealer, September 5, 1862

(11) Of this group, all except Luke Potter and Wood were taken prisoner during this skirmish. The three Wetherell’s were Ephraim, William and William V., all from Waterville. All were released a week after the debacle at Harpers Ferry, see next letter from “Horace.”

(12) Lamoille Newsdealer, 9/19/1862

(13) Lamoille Newsdealer, 10/3/1862

(14) Lamoille Newsdealer, 10/17/1862

(15) Lamoille Newsdealer, 3/4/1863

(16) Lamoille Newsdealer, 4/9/1863

(17) Lamoille Newsdealer, 4/23/1863

(18) Lamoille Newsdealer, 5/14/1863

(19) Lamoille Newsdealer, 5/14/1863

(20) Lamoille Newsdealer, 7/2/1863

(21) Lamoille Newsdealer, 7/9/1863

(22) Lamoille Newsdealer, 7/23/1863

(23) Lamoille Newsdealer, 8/6/1863

(24) Lamoille Newsdealer, 8/6/1863

(25) Lamoille Newsdealer, 1/13/1864

(26) Lamoille Newsdealer, 2/24/1864

(27) Lamoille Newsdealer, 3/16/1864

(28) Lamoille Newsdealer, 9/14/1864

(29) Lamoille Newsdealer, 9/28/1864

(30) Lamoille Newsdealer, 10/5/1864

(31) Lamoille Newsdealer, 10/12/1864

Submitted by Deanna French.