Vermont Flag Site Logo
Find a Soldier Units Battles Cemeteries Descendants Pensions Towns

Corliss, William H. H.


Age: 20, credited to Corinth, VT
Unit(s): 8th VT INF
Service: enl 12/6/61, m/i 2/18/62, Pvt, Co. D, 8th VT INF, m/o 7/24/63

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: abt 1841, Corinth, VT
Death: unknown


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Not Found
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)

William H. H. Corliss


JAN. 19, 1863

MR.EDITOR: --- Our regiment left Brashear city for Thibodaux on the 9th of Jan, and joined Gen Weitzell's brigade. The next Sunday we had marching orders. We packed our knapsacks and took the cars for Brashear city again. When we arrived there we found our old quarters occupied by other regiments. It was night and we marched to an old sugar house where we slept for that night. Regiments and batteries were arriving during the night. Thursday morning we had orders to fall in line of battle and march on board the gun-boat Grey Cloud with the 100th (160?) New York regiment. At 12 o'clock we steamed up the bayou with three other gun-boats loaded with troops. On shore were three batteries and a company of cavalry going with us. The gun-boats carried us about ten miles, and landed us within a few miles of the rebel lines --- Here we formed our line of battle, with four regiments in advance with the batteries and cavalry. Our regiment and two others were the reserve brigade. There was some skirmishing in front, but the rebels retreated as we advanced. That night we slept in a cane field on our arms. Early in the morning we crossed over to the other side of the bayou, to prevent the sharpshooters from picking off our cannooners on the gun-boats. Soon word came that the rebels had attacked the gun-boats. Col. Thomas gave the order to advance in double-quick thime, and away we went up the bayou until we overtook the forward gunboat and a band of rebels. We charged upon the rebels, killing seven or eight and capturing thirty. They had shot Commodore Buchanan before we arrived. --- Our gun-boats could not proceed up the bayou father, for the rebels had placed obstructions across it.

Our Colonel had orders not to go any farther than the gun-boat, but he was encouraged by our success that he could not resist the temptation to permit us to pursue the rebels; so on we went, picking up guns and knapsacks, capturing now and then a stray rebel, ‘till they began to throw their shells from the other side among us, when we returned because we had no batteries with us. The object of this expedition was to destroy the rebel gun-boat Cotton, which was accomplished. We returned the next day to Thibodeaux. We are now encamped in tents two miles from that place.

W.H.H.H.C., Co. D

Courtesy of Deanna French.

8th Vermont Infantry Regimental History