Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Coy, Charles Pixley


Age: 19, credited to Royalton, VT
Unit(s): 16th VT INF, 26th NY CAV/VT FCAV
Service: enl 9/18/62, m/i 10/23/62, Pvt, Co. H, 16th VT INF, m/o 8/10/63; enl 1/3/65, m/i 1/10/65, Pvt, Co. F, Frontier Cavalry (26th NY CAV), m/o 6/27/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 05/07/1843, Royalton, VT
Death: 07/03/1908

Burial: Cherry Hill Cemetery, Bethel, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Joie Finley Morris +

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 6/21/1880; widow Hattie L., 7/29/1908, NH
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

Webmaster's Note: After the Saint Albans Raid on October 19, 1864, Vermont raised two companies of cavalry to help guard the Canadian border; there were known as Frontier Cavalry, Companies F and M, but technically they were part of the 26th New York Cavalry.


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Cherry Hill Cemetery, Bethel, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Death of Charles P. Coy

Charles P. Coy died Friday at the home of his brother, John H. Coy, in Tunbridge, where he had been visiting. He had been in usual health and was sitting at the table. He had just laughed heartily at a story told by his brother, when it was noticed that he was in trouble, and almost before assistance could be given him he died. The cause is given as heart trouble.

Charles Pixley Coy was born in Royalton May 7, 1843, the son of John and Matilda (Thompson) Coy. The Coy family was one of the earliest to settle in Royalton, coming from Monson, Mass. In early times the name was spelled "Coye." The old Coy farm is situated on Dairy Hill. Part of the farm was bought by the Mormons in furtherance of their establishment of a Mormon headquarters near the monument.

Mr. Coy enlisted in the Civil war Aug. 18, 1862, as a member of Co. H. Of the 16th Regt. Vermont Volunteers, serving out the term of his enlistment. He returned to Bethel, but again enlisted at the time of the St. Albans raid and saw several months of service then.

He was married Sept. 25, 1871, to Hattie L. Brooks of Bethel, who survives him. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Coy, of whom two reached majority and are still alive - F. E. Coy of West Claremont, N. H., R. H. Coy of New York city. The former is engaged in the paper manufacturing business and the latter in the paper and twine trade.

He is also survived by two brothers, John H. Coy and George E. Coy, both living in Tunbridge, and a sister, Mrs. C. E. Buzzell of South Royalton.

After returning from the war, Mr. Coy learned the tinsmith trade of his brother, Simon T. Coy, then located in the Tontine block (now the Bethel Mills) and afterwards worked at his trade in Bethel, Brattleboro, St. Johnsbury and Montpelier. About 1885 he began business for himself, opening a store in the basement of the Sylvester block. Later, he worked for many years for Topper & Graham until compelled by ill health to give up work in 1900.

Funeral services were held Sunday at the home of his brother, John H. Coy, in Tunbridge, Rev. Sherman Goodwin of South Royalton officiating. The bearers were W. H. Edmunds, M. N. Kendall, S. F. Lyman and Albert Abbott of Daniel Lillie Post, No. 61, G.A.R., of which the deceased was a charter member and past commander, and John Keleher and Charles Shepard.

Source: Herald and News, July 9, 1908
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.