Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Fletcher, Enos


Age: 38, credited to Waterville, VT
Unit(s): 2nd VT INF, 7th VT INF
Service: enl 5/7/61, m/i 6/20/61, Pvt, Co. H, 2nd VT INF, dis/dsb 10/18/61; enl, 12/1/61, m/i, Pvt, Co. E, 7th VT INF, 2/12/62, pr COPR 11/27/62, red. 2/21/64, m/o 8/30/64

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 1823, Waterville, VT
Death: 04/01/1899

Burial: Mountain View Cemetery, Waterville, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Deanna French
Findagrave Memorial #: 78575985


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 3/30/1878; widow Abigail, 9/7/189, VT
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Mountain View Cemetery, Waterville, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.



We have received quite a lengthy letter from Enos Fletcher of Co. H. of the 2d Reg., in relation to the Bull Run battle, but as our columns are nearly full, and we have given so much in relation to it already, we can find room for only an extract in relation to the conduct of Col. Whiting and Capt. Burnham

During the advance our Colonel marched at the head of his regiment. As we wheeled into line on the field, he was at his place at the right of the regiment, and remained their until we received orders to retreat, which order he gave to the battalion, and turning, retreated, followed by some of his men; the others failing to obey. Soon finding that the men had probably not heard or understood the order, he returned from the woods, in our rear, and repeated it again and retired, and again returned the third time ere the regiment would retire. Col. Whiting led his men led his men to the field, and led them off. I leave you to judge from the facts, as to his cowardice. Let me enter my protest also against you believing the tale of the cowardice of one other of our officers. I refer to Capt. Burnham, of Co. H., 2d reg., formerly of Montpelier, who fell out, utterly exhausted, a mile or more from the field. His enemies and those who have gone home to frame stories of a battle they never saw, take the fact as a proof of his cowardice. As well might they call a coward, the 1st Lieut. Of the same co( and there are some to dispute me when I call him one of the bravest of our reg.), who fell out soon after, for the same reason, and who saw none of the fight.

Under date of Chain Bridge, D.C., Aug. 16th he says: Since writing the above we have removed our camp to this place, and are camped just by the side of the 3d Reg. Of course it is very agreeable, and all that. Next Monday, at 4 o'clock A.M., we leave this place again for a new camp some 12 miles up the river. So you see, our coming here was but for a visit, after all.



SEPT. 12th, 1861


When last I wrote to you we had comfortably settled here at Camp Lyon, and here we have remained------with the exception of a hard week spent 12 miles west of this place, up the Potomac at a place called Great Falls.----until about a week ago. On Tuesday, Sept.24, through the day, signs of a move were viable on every hand, and at 9 o'clock, P.M. roll call, we were ordered to be ready to march in one hour, with two days rations.Accordingly we marched at 11 0'clock, crossed Chain Bridge and went forward some 2 miles into Va. All at once we were going along still and quiet, we received the order; "To the right, about face, forward march, load as you go". We turned, loading, and gained an excellent position by the roadside, where we staid, in line of battle, until daylight, expecting every moment the enemy to pitch in, as it was reported, that we had advanced in the dark to within a few rods of a large body of rebels. At daylight we marched to our present camp, where we have commenced a fort some 10 rods square, and nearly finished it. By a great misfortune (to me I mean) I was taken very sick 4 days ago, and was sent back by the surgeon to this our old camp, where I have been gradually gaining so that now I am almost able to take the field again.

In regard to the projected movements of our army, we of the rank and file know absolutely nothing, and of the supposed movements, we have not half the means of knowing what they may be that you have.We only know anything after it has happened, and then we are not sure of it, unless we see it; so many many and foolish are camp stories.During this last week many of our Reg, and also the 3d, have been deeply pained to hear of the death of Thomas Gleed, of Morrisville. When the news came to camp, a great number, who during life considered him a "good fellow", now that he is dead, remember traits of his character and life which endear his memory to them, and stamp his life as a "good fight". However I have no thought to pronounce an eulogy on him, only to tell you that his friends and acquaintances here mourn his loss, and deeply sympathize with his family and friends at home. Today we chronicle the arrival of some 20 recruits for our company from Vt.. They come in a busy time, when the work is hard, and food none of the rarest; however we hope they will not be homesick. They cannot, from the nature of things, see one half of the deprivations that we did, as Govt. has made better provisions for her boys of late.I chronicle today a smart skirmish which took place yesterday between a detachment of our troops and a body of the enemy. I can only tell you of the loss of our Vt. Regt's, further, I don't know.. In the Vt. 2d, Co.A- one wounded: In Vt. 3d- 2killed, 5 wounded. Recruits still continue to arrive, and when I stop and think of the great importance of the present struggle, I almost wonder that the men, and women too, of the North, do not turn over en masse, and come over and help us. Still they have done well, as we number among us the best and most talented of our men; and far better, the loveliest, kindest, most virtuous, and elevated of "God's last, best gift to man; our worshiped sisters and mothers. You at home can never know the bitterness of the knowledge we feel, when we find that there are indeed traitors at home, and worse still, what we feel when we hear of mothers in our own towns and neighborhoods restraining sons that would serve their country, dissuading their female friends, with that most powerful appeal to the female heart, the pretense that " none but disgraced women are expected to go to the army as nurses", from coming to give us their help:, their countenance in our sorrow, their influence to keep us good, and to remind of us home, and, oh, their soft step around our sick bed; the soothing hand on our burning brow; and at last the quiet womanly arrangements which make it possible, in such an event, for our comrades to bury us decently out of sight. Men and women two (sic), will know, in our own country, to what I refer in this matter. I tell you, Mr. Editor, that the fact that our sisters at home are not with us at heart and hand, makes us very sad. Perhaps my remarks may seem to you bitter, but I have just been reading a letter from a kind, patriotic woman in the north part of Waterville, who tells me there are some, in deed, in your co. at least, who imagine that all who are with us here, both men and women, are not respectable.

Yours Very Truly; Enos Fletcher


From The 7th Regiment

Enos Fletcher gives some interesting particulars in relation to the voyage to Ship Island, &c. We select the following:-

The left wing was on ship board Tuesday the 11th; and the next Sunday we started our voyage, with a favorable breeze from the north west, taking us direct on our route to Ship Island. It was only two days that the good wind lasted, then it blew hard from the south west, taking our ship to the south east, and of course, out of our direct route. About two days out the disease incident to the sea prevailed throughout the ship. But very few escaped. After more than a week the adverse winds ceased entirely, and our ship was motionless on the Atlantic; the surface being smooth as glass. The dead calm, however, lasted only one day, then came a gentle breeze from the north east, sending us but slowly along.

Yesterday, the 28th, some of the boys went bathing; some 20 or 30 of them leaping from the ship, staying in the water a long time, finding it easier swimming in the salt water than they used to in the Lamoille. It was thought from an event that soon happened that this swimming in this part of the Atlantic (opposite the south of Florida) was rather dangerous. After some time had passed, a shark was seen nearing the swimmers. Some of them were very much frightened, and all of them enough to get on the ships deck as soon as possible. In the mean time one of the sailors by the aid of 2 or 3 lbs. of pork had succeeded in getting the shark attached to a large fish hook, and three of the sailors with pulley's landed him on board. The fish was not as large as we expected, being only 6 feet,9 inches in length. The soldiers dressed him and the best part was cooked and ate. As a consequence the Lieut. Colonel gave orders that no more bathing about here should be allowed in the future.

The men are fast recovering from the despondency occasioned by sickness and sudden change of climate. A sort of literary society is formed, and patriotic speeches are made. Some of the speakers show some ability. One especially makes himself quite amusing, as well as interesting. Some of the men with the Rev. M. Townshend as leader, spend some time each day, in study and discussion, as members of a Bible class. Prayer meetings are also attended to. Many things are going on among the men, some reading,others writing, many walking, others eating or drinking, and nearly all on deck and busy about something. Since we left Brooklyn, we have seen only three ships; two American, and one French ship, carrying sixty-four guns; a screw steamer which seemed to be going directly to Florida. The boys think it quite a rare thing to see a sail. They are waiting for land. But I am exceeding due limits and must close.

I will just say that our officers evinced in the treatment of their kindness and humanity. They are all regarded with esteem by their men, but none, I believe, more deservedly so, than the Lieut. Colonel, and the Captain of Co. E. The former with unusual energy has seen to the cleanliness of the boat, and correcting improper conduct generally; but in nothing does he merit more approbation, than in his interference against intemperance. I have seen him go around among the men, collecting bottles, and getting as many as he could carry, and smash them. Such summary proceeding occasioned some muttered complaints at first, but it is doubted if some of them complained, were not much benefitted, and will be more so, if they should continue long under the present authority, An event illustrating the awful end to which intemperance sometimes leads its victim, occurred the 23d. Geo. N. Willey, of Northfield, private of Co. K, died on the evening of that day, of the delerium tremens; the only death, as yet, on ship board.

The men are quite well now as to provisions. Some abuses in the cooking department were corrected by the observance and shrewdness of Capt. Landon. During all the sickness of his men, although not well himself, he was seen each day passing among the sick, giving aid by his attendance and sympathy, and some-times, if in his power, procuring some cordial or rarity for their relief.

Although there may be men of better military ability, yet I think there are few with a better spirit of disinterested charity.

Company E. is one of the best of the regiment. It is called quite moral and economical, especially, having sent home, of money they received from the time of enlisting, until the first of March, $1,500; also allotting to the treasury, $1,175 per month, exceeding in this particular any other Co. in the regiment. It is to be hoped that it will, together with the whole regiment, preserve its present honor and effective strength until it shall, if occasion requires, greatly distinguish itself in the service of our country.



MR. EDITOR: The last letter that I sent you was concerning the 7th Vt., and noticed nothing occurring much later than the 5th of August. After the battle of that day, we, together with our troops were occupied most diligently in making entrenchments, building breastworks, and using or destroying anything that might aid or hinder our successful defense against the rebels. About a week was thus employed; during which time we were called out by the long roll on an average of every other night; sometimes with , and sometimes without good reason, and I will say this much, that, as far as I know, not a man in the Johnson Company, if indeed, in the whole regiment, but who was at the post, fully armed, on hearing the command consequent on each alarm. They were weary, this is true, with the toil of the preceding day; but this did not hinder them ( in cases when they fully expected a battle) from coming into line and marching to meet the rascals, if need be, with quickness, cheerfulness, and firmness.

After a few days past in the way above explained, we unexpectedly received orders for a voyage down the river, to locate some where near New Orleans. To this end we made ready as soon as possible. Our sick and wounded were put on the boats provided and they preceded with us; one of which boats came in collision with a gunboat. The former boat was very old, in fact, unfit for use, being in a measure unmanageable, had on board a large number of wounded, and the body of Gen. Williams. Many of the poor fellows being unable to help themselves were lost. After leaving baton Rouge without accident, we made a safe voyage down to Carrolton, a populous little village in the vicinity of new Orleans. We had been here before. Our tents were again pitched on the old camp ground. We fully believed that we were to stay there sometime, but were disappointed. We rested one night only, and that but poorly, when again we must be ready in 30 minutes, to march to other quarters. Nothing to do but obey, however, but very little complaint was heard, and from some who in reality were fit subjects for the hospital. It was an hour before we started on our march. We started for a place called Camp Williams; so called on honor of Gen. Williams, who was killed at the fight at Baton Rouge. At this time there had been very heavy rains, in consequence of which the roads in that low, flat country were almost impassable. The journey, though only about three miles, was to some of us a very tiresome one, the mud being some of the way ankle deep. After a while we came to the place; Col. Fullam filing us to the left into a large grass field. He then congratulated us on our pleasant camp ground, calling it the best we had yet secured, and so it appeared at first view. A close observation, however soon found that it would be very liable to hold water in case of a storm; the highest part of it being elevated only a few inches above the surrounding bayous, and marshes. How soon we found ourselves wallowing in the Louisiana mud needs no statement; suffice it to say it was sooner than we expected. The first rain left ponds of water in our streets, and in some cases it ran into tents. This water by the unavoidable walking and tramping of soldiers and horses soon mixed with the clayey surface and in some places made 6 inches of the most adhesive mud I ever saw. One could walk only a few steps before his boots loaded, and himself quite unable to make any double-quick movement, however urgent the case.

But our troubles stopped not with the mud. The most grievous trial was in relation to water. We could get none only that from the bayou, which was almost, if not quite stagnant, and rather greenish in color; or from some large tank, the water which was some better, but to our sorrow, not very plenty. I will just remark that those bayous of water are filled with alligators, large water snakes, bull frogs of enormous size, lizards, evits, and the like, and may be seen in abundance at all times, in the warm season. As a result of drinking the water , with all the rest, sickness manifested itself among the troops to an alarming extent; consisting mostly of fever and ague, and kindred diseases. About this time it was thought proper to get better water; accordingly mule carts were employed by our Quartermaster to bring water from the Mississippi. The water in that river looks very much like we see in the rutts and holes of the highway after a rain; but is in reality much more wholesome than that obtained from the marsh. Some days we could get barely enough of this to quench our burning thirst, and that was all, consisting often of not more than a pint.. The river was only 3 miles distant, and not a man of any respect or spunk, in the regiment, but who would joyfully have gone to the river daily, and filled his canteen, but in order to do this, it was necessary to get a pass, signed by the officer commanding Co., and counter-signed by the General, which, though attempted very often, almost as often failed.

These remarks are made to present a sample of the circumstances in which this unfortunate regiment has been successively placed,, ever since it came from the barracks at the Rutland Fair Ground. There is a fault somewhere, and a great one, though it may be very difficult to attach it to any particular individuals, though I will say that while we were in the vicinity of New Orleans very many thought that our trials came from a particular source. Of this I have nothing to write. It is to be hoped that in good time, means will be taken to clear away whatever suspicion or doubt there may be concerning the honor and patriotism of the regiment.

But we did not remain long in this camp. The 12th of October we were on the march for Camp Vearney, where we arrived after a long days march, and pitched some of our tents, and the next did all we could do to get ourselves as comfortable as possible once more. We were better pleased here than in our former place, and justly, for it was much nearer good water, and more elevated, with a very wide and deep drain dug through the centre of our camp, and conveyed away the water in case of a storm. It was much nearer Carrolton, and very near a rail road station, with the cars passing a dozen times a day. Here we saw more of common business of life, and were usually more cheerful and happy.. Our regiment stayed here about a month during which time I was unfit for duty.

On the 13th of Nov., we started for New Orleans, expecting to take ship there for Pensacola, one of the so called healthiest places on the Gulf Coast; situated in west Florida, about 25 miles from the state of Alabama, and forty from seccesh Mobile.. When we got to New Orleans we were disappointed in startling immediately for Florida. We were turned into a large pile of buildings called a "cotton press". This is below the main part of the city, and is erected in the shape of an oblong square, with a space of ground in the centre, about an acre in extent, and similar to a court of an eastern dwelling. The sides of the building fronted the interior space were open, being little or no better for shelter than many a Vermont cattle shed, and leaving as unprotected against the cold winds, that during our stay there, blew almost continually from the North, North-West.. Here the chill, fever and the like, came on worse than ever. Violent colds were taken by some of the men, from which they never recovered: With the exception of the cold, the weather was fine for three days of our stay here, but the fourth day, just as it was found necessary for us to start for Pensacola, after, to us, an unaccountable delay,, we packed up bag and baggage, marched down to the wharf in a cold driving rain storm, and compelled , at the wharf, to stand for of an hour before we could be directed on board, and even then all of us, except those who were unable to stand, were kept on the open deck, of a little steamer, for two days and nights, in the storm above mentioned.

The officers of the boat thought it not safe to put out into the gulf at night, and as we could not get there until after dark, with the tempest increasing, we stopped at the great sand-bar until very early the next morning, then we put out into the deep, dark old Mexico. It stormed all day. The sufferings of the men on deck was very great, especially among the more feeble.. The following night was rather milder, it raining only part of the time, though it grew cold toward morning, as the men had no clothing on, but that was soaked with water, it made it rather too hard to be borne without some complaint on the part of some. But soon we arrived at the harbor, or rather the wharf of Pensacola. We were welcomed by the troops, who came out with field music and dress uniforms to meet us. The contrast between our poor regiment, and their fine platoons, and vigorous and well executed evolutions, was rather remarkable.

We secured good quarters in Pensacola, the same day, which was the 15th of Nov. We occupy the quarters of the 6th New York, which regiment left soon after our arrival in New Orleans. We find the place very much as it was recommended to be--- quite healthy for those who best stood the storm on the gulf, or were the healthiest on getting here. Many of the invalids on that small boat, so poor a place for so many, and especially in a storm, have since been laid beneath the sands, and more are daily following.. Every effort is made, that can be made, tenderly to care for the sick. For one surgeon the task of attending to so many invalids was very great. Surgeon Blanchard has been in a good degree relived of his weary and unequal labors. The arrival of Surgeon Foster and Langdon from the north was an event we had some time looked for and was very welcome. These gentlemen have the respect of all though they have been here but a short time. Their careful and faithful attendance on duty promises well for their success in restoring the regiment to a better state of health, aided by better circumstances. I have long thought that doctors of a right stamp had it in their power to do more good than men of any other profession, and my recent experience and observation confirms my former opinion. May they be kept in good health that we loose not the benefit of their learning, skill and faithfulness.

Some few changes have been made among the officers since I last wrote, the most important of which is the election of Major Holbrook, as Colonel. It may be said without flattery, that though the 7th, has been unfortunate in most things, it was not so in securing so good a Col. Though very young, Vermont may look upon him as satisfactory in the best sense to the regiment, upon which he confers honor,, and as promising for the future. Though a soldier he is not destitute of an amiable and feeling mind. But I will close with one or two statements more. I will give you some idea of the prevalence of sickness and death that has been among us, since we came South. The names of the men,with those of their former residence, who have died out of the Johnson Co., are as follows: --- Lieut. Cull, Louis Lamandy,Horace Clafflin, Henry Leach, Curtis Tillotson, Belvidere:Elias Fletcher, Doctor Barnes, Reneslear Willey, Jarious Colgrove,Waterville; George Hawley, Henry Heath, Marshall Babcock, George Mead, Ansell Roberson, Peter Parrent, Ebenezer Wilson,Joel Field, Charlie Balch, Frank Dubray,Johnson; Harvey Irish, Orrin Dorwin, Fairfax; Barber, Eden; Philbrook,Wolcott; Alanson Fuller, Perly Smith, Richmond; Wilkins, Chase, Stowe; Gile, Morristown; David McIntire, Mathews,Lanphier, Pixley, Lilly, Hyde Park; Rev. M. Townsend,Streeter, Cambridge; John Emmons, Huntington --- making the great number of 38 men from the ranks of our company, half of its number of privates. Of the commissioned officers chosen in Johnson, not one is left. Capt. Landon resigned, Lieut. Cull died, and Lieut G.W. Sheldon is now Adjutant. I will close with the presentation of the relative loss of each company:

Company A, 26; Company F.,25; Company D. 21; Company I, 45, Company C.,15,Company H.,47, Company E.38, Company K. 27, Company B.33, Company G. 38: TOTAL 315

There are now more than one hundred in the hospital, but most are doing very well. Though undeserving yet, I hope that in time to come, God will protect us from so much sickness and death.

Truly Yours,

Submitted By: Deanna French


Enos Fletcher, a long time resident of Waterville, was found dead in his bed on the morning of April 1. Mr. Fletcher was nearly 6 years old. He served as private in Co. H, 2d Vt. Regiment, was in the first battle of Bull run and also served in the 7th regiment.

Source: Richford Journal and Gazette, April 7, 1899.
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.