Site Logo
Home Page | Cemeteries | Battles | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Greene, Lester Bruce


Age: 22, credited to St. Albans, VT
Unit(s): 1st VT INF
Service: enl 5/2/61, m/i 5/9/61, PVT, Co. C, 1st VT INF, m/o 8/15/61

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 06/28/1838, St. Albans, VT
Death: 11/21/1887

Burial: Greenwood Cemetery, St. Albans, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Kathy Valloch
Findagrave Memorial #: 145214097


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, widow Mary E., 9/16/1890, VT
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Greenwood Cemetery, St. Albans, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Lester B. Greene

Lester B. Greene, the subject of this notice, was born in St. Albans, June 29, 1838, and died at his home in this village Nov. 21, 1887, (being in the fiftieth year of his age) and was buried on the 23rd.

The memory of Mr. Greene is entitled to more than a passing notice in the community where he grew up, where his years were mainly spent, and where he was universally respected, as well for his prominent connection with the "Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers."

He served his apprenticeship to the printer's trade in the MESSENGER office, entering upon his work when 14 years of age. Five years later, work being dull on account of the great financial panic in 1857, he went upon an engine on the Central Vermont road, where a brother was employed, and soon became a full engineer. He was a member of the Ransom Guard and went into service with the First Vermont regiment in 1861. Much of his duty during his three months' service was given as orderly at brigade headquarters, where he was detailed by General Phelps. His acquaintance with that officer, for whom he had the highest respect, became quite intimate, notwithstanding the great difference in rank.

Returning hone with the Guard, Mr. Greene resumed his occupation on the railroad, in which capacity he served until 1872. He was one of the original and charter members of the "Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers" and early took a deep interest in the order. In 1872, Nov. 19, he received a telegram to go to Cleveland, Ohio the headquarters of the brotherhood, having been appointed "First general assistant engineer, " which carried with it the entire business management, including the insurance department, the secretaryship and editorship of the monthly journal. When he went there he found matters in a chaotic state and much dissension in the order. He applied himself to his work with unusual heroism and vigor while his strength lasted. He was principally instrumental in the election of P.M. Arthur to the position of Grand Chief, which position he now holds.

Six years later, in 1878, Mr. Greene broke down under his tremendous load and resigned. The climate of Cleveland proving unfavorable under his failing health, he returned to St. Albans to spend his last days. He was ever after held in esteem by the engineers' fraternity and was the constant recipient of its benefactions. He was a firm believer in the great doctrines of Christianity and was a consistent member of First Congregational church in this village.

Since his return to St.Albans he has been a constant and intense sufferer from a spinal difficulty which he contracted by overwork in his labors at Cleveland, and from which death came as a messenger of relief. He was a son of Mr. Henry C. Greene and a brother of Luther O. Greene of the Woodstock Standard. He leaves a wife and two children, who will receive the kindest sympathy of the many friends of the family. He was an earnest and faithful man in whatever he undertook to do, and has served his day and generation well. He leaves a good name and an honorable record.

Source: St. Albans Daily Messenger, Nov. 23, 1887
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.