Site Logo
Home Page | Cemeteries | Battles | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Eaton, Solon


Age: 22, credited to Addison, VT
Unit(s): 2nd VT INF
Service: comn CPT, Co. K, 2nd VT INF, 5/28/61 (5/28/61), resgd 8/4/62 (due to malarial fever)[College: UVM 60, Harvard 64]

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 1839, Addison, VT
Death: 04/04/1886

Burial: Lake View Cemetery, Addison, VT
Marker/Plot: No_Marker
Gravestone researcher/photographer:
Findagrave Memorial #: 197124466


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 6/23/1880, not approved; father Reuben W. Eaton, 1/5/1887, VT, not approved
Portrait?: Italo Collection, VHS Collections
College?: UVM 60, HU 64
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: WPA Graves Registration Card indicates "no marker."


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Lake View Cemetery, Addison, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


VHS - Reunion Society Collection


Ed Italo Collection


Solon Eaton

Was the son of Reuben W. and Phimelia (Sherman) Eaton of West Addison, Vt., where he was born 6 February 1839. He prepared for college at Barre academy under that veteran of Vermont teachers, Jacob S. Spaulding. While pursuing his college course he taught three terms in the public schools of Addison and Panton. He entered the law office of the Hon. G. W. Grandey of Vergennes, but when the war broke out gave up his professional studies and raised company K of the 2d Vermont volunteers, and was chosen its captain. He was at the first battle of Bull Run. Owing to an attack of malarial fever contracted in the swamps of the Chickahominy he was sent home to Vermont to recuperate, and spent some time while in the state as recruiting officer. From the effects of this fever he never fully recovered. He resigned his commission 4 August 1862 and entered Harvard law school, receiving the degree of LL. B. in 1864. He began the practice of his profession in Burlington, Vt., but ere long went to California for his health. For some time before his death he lived on the old farm in Addison. He died after a brief illness of typhoid pneumonia 4 April 1886.

He was a man of fine intellect and a brave and resolute soldier. He entered heart and soul into the war for the Union and passed through a varied experience. He was tendered the position of lieutenant-colonel but declined it on account of his broken health.

Source: University of Vermont Obituary Record, Compiled by a Committee of the Associate Alumni, No. 1, Burlington, 1895, page 122-123.


Death of a War Veteran

Major Solon Eaton died Sunday after a very short illness at his home in Addison. He was a son of Reuben Eaton and man of superior intellect. He graduated at the University of Vermont in 1858, and later at Harvard law school, after which he entered the law office of the Hon. G. W. Grandy of Vergennes. When the rebellion broke out he gave up the law and raised company K, 2nd Vermont volunteers, and became its captain. He was at the first Bull Run and afterwards was promoted to be major. He contracted malarial fever on the Isthmus and was obliged to return home and spend some time in Vermont as a recruiting officer. In 1861 there was no brighter nor more promising young man in Addison county then Mr. Eaton. He was a brave soldier, a genial, courteous gentleman, and his death at the early age of 49 is regretted by all.

Source: Burlington Free Press, April 7, 1886
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.