Site Logo
Soldiers - Units - Battles - Cemeteries - Towns

Griswold, Edward Farwell


Age: 21, credited to St. Johnsbury, VT
Unit(s): 11th VT INF
Service: enl 7/31/62, m/i 9/1/62, CPL, Co. A, 11th VT INF, pr SGT 9/2/62, comn 1LT, Co. L, 7/11/63 (7/17/63), pow, Weldon Railroad, 6/23/64, escaped 7/1/64, recaptured, 7/18/64, prld 9/26/64, pr CPT, Co. F, 5/23/65 (6/2/65), m/o 6/24/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 03/10/1841, New Ipswich, NH
Death: 04/05/1926

Burial: Mount Pleasant Cemetery, St. Johnsbury, VT
Marker/Plot: 461
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Carolyn Adams
Findagrave Memorial #: 18480080


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 3/23/1907, VT
Portrait?: Charles Collection, Italo Collection, Guber Collection off-site, VHS Collections
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

Webmaster's Note: The 11th Vermont Infantry was also known as the 1st Vermont Heavy Artillery; the names were used interchangably for most of its career


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Mount Pleasant Cemetery, St. Johnsbury, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


VHS - Reunion Society Collection

Photo Photo

VHS - Portrait Files (FPO)


Ed Italo Collection

Edward F. Griswold

Born in New Ispwich, NH. Son of Franklin Griswold, for many years a resident of St. Johnsbury East. Enlisted in Company A, 11th Regiment, at the age of twenty-one years, July 31, 1862. Mustered into United States service September 1, 1862. Promoted Corporal September 1, 1862. Promoted Sergeant September 2, 1862. Promoted 1st Lieutenant company L, July 11, 1863. Promoted Captain of Company F, May 23, 1865. Mustered out of service June 24, 1865.

Was on recruiting service in Vermont from April 21, 1863, to November 11, then rejoined the Regiment at Fort Slocum, DC. Post Adjutant at Fort Lincoln during the winter of 1863, and until the 11th Regiment left for the front, May 12, 1864. Participated in the actions at Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, Petersburg and Weldon Railroad. Taken prisoner at last named place June 23, 1864, confined in Libby prison till June 29, then removed with others towards Georgia. Arriving at Lynchburg, Va., it was found that the railroad track had been destroyed, and the prisoners must march to Danville, a distance of eighty miles. Rations were issued for four days -- twenty hardtack and about one pound of pork -- to each man. Reaching Marysville, on Staunton river, and after crossing the bridge spanning the stream, the prisoners under charge of rebel guards, were deployed in a field adjacent to the stream. The bank of the river was lined with bushes a rod or more wide along the bank.

Lieutenant Griswold, Captain Safford of Company I, and Lieutenant Fleury of Company K, with tin cups in hand, made for the river, with a preconcerted plan, if not discovered by the guard, to escape. They found they were not pursued, and proceeding down stream where they could cross without exposure, they forded it. This was July 1st. Secreted in the day time, and traveling by night, the three reached Millbro' early in the morning of July 17. In passing through the town they were discovered by the rebel Provost guard, and pursued by them about a mile, but by running, succeeded, though fired upon, in making their escape. Here the party became separated. Lieutenant Griswold reached Huntersville in the northeastern section of Virginia, and his companions the town of Beverly, within the Union lines, some four days later. Hungry and weary, Lieutenant Griswold entered a farm house on the outskirts of the place -- understanding from the negroes that many of the people here were friends of the Union. He was soon surprised by the entrance of two rebel guards. He was a prisoner again. He was taken to Staunton, confined for three days in"Castle Rough," then sent forward by rail to Richmond, which place he reached the 26th of July. Detained there until September 24, he was paroled, in company with a party of sick and wounded Union prisoners, and proceeded north. Remaining in hospital at Annapolis, Md., until exchanged December 18, 1864, when he was ordered to Alexandria, Va., to serve on court martial. He continued in this duty until June 3, 1865, when he was ordered to join his Regiment at Bailey's Cross Roads. Promoted Captain of Company F, and assigned to command of Company K, and remained with same until the Regiment was mustered out of service at Burlington, this State, which was, according to Adjutant General's Report, August 25, 1865.

Albert G. Chadwick, compiler, Soldiers Record of the Town of St. Johnsbury, Vermont, in the War of the Rebellion, 1861-5,(C. M. Stone & Co., St. Johnsbury, VT., 1883), pp. 71-72