Vermont Flag Site Logo
Find a Soldier Units Battles Cemeteries Descendants Pensions Towns

Reed, Jabez P.


Age: 37, credited to Stowe, VT
Unit(s): 11th VT INF
Service: enl 8/9/62, m/i 9/1/62, Pvt, Co. D, 11th VT INF, pow, Cedar Creek, 10/19/64, prld 2/15/65, m/o 7/10/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: abt 1825, Plainfield, NH
Death: 1895

Burial: Plainfield Cemetery, Plainfield, NH
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Lew & Ginny Gage

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 5/20/1880; widow Lydia b., 7/25/1895, NH
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None

Webmaster's Note: The 11th Vermont Infantry was also known as the 1st Vermont Heavy Artillery; the names were used interchangably for most of its career


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Plainfield Cemetery, Plainfield, NH

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

Jabez P. Reed


Born in Plainfield, N.H., age 38, enlisted in the 11th Vt. Reg, Aug. 9, '62; mustered in as a private in Co. D., Sept. 1, '62 at Brattleboro, following the fortunes of his regiment, except a confinement of two weeks with measles, in the spring of '63, 'till Oct 19,'64; out on picket before light in the morning, he was hit by a ball, coming just above his mouth, grazing the skin, and stunning him so he fell. When rising he saw men coming whom he supposed were our men, but soon found his mistake by their calling him to lay down his arms, and saying," you are our prisoner you ---" He was kept under guard in the field about two weeks then taken to Libby prison, and afterwards to an old building called by him an old tobacco shell, where he remained 'till Feb. 15,'65, when he was paroled and sent to Annapolis. On being taken prisoner he was relieved of everything he had, including a few dollars in money, except the clothes he wore. His prison fare was, in the morning, a piece of corn bread about 2 inches square, and a few mouthfuls of meat; no dinner; at night the same as in the morning, with a addition of a small quantity of meat---his bed was the floor with no covering, 'till in January the prisoners received a blanket from the home government. At Annapolis he was taken sick with chronic diarrhea, but was able to come home on furlough, where he remained until about the first of June, when he was ordered to Brattleboro to be discharged. But in going was injured by the cars being thrown from the track, and confined at Brattleboro a number of weeks. He was mustered out of service July 10.'65. received $100 government bounty; served 2 years, 11 mos. 1 day.

Hemenway's Historical Gazetteer, 1871, ii:760

Submitted By: Deanna French.