Site Logo
Soldiers - Units - Battles - Cemeteries - Towns

Savage, John A.


Age: 19, credited to West Windsor, VT
Unit(s): 12th VT INF
Service: enl 8/19/62, m/i 10/4/62, Pvt, Co. A, 12th VT INF, m/o 7/14/63 (last surviving veteran in Windsor County)

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 03/22/1843, Windsor, VT
Death: 10/12/1937

Burial: Brownsville Cemetery (2), West Windsor, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Carolyn Adams
Findagrave Memorial #: 196918036


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 7/23/1891, VT
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: See Benedict's Army Life in Virginia


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Brownsville Cemetery (2), West Windsor, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

John Savage

The Vermont Journal, October 14, 1937.

Civil War Veteran Dies Tuesday at W. Windsor Home
John Savage, 94, Was Last Surviving Member of 12th Vt. Regiment - Funeral Friday.

John Savage, aged 94, died Tuesday morning at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ray L. Blanchard. Mr. Savage had been ill for the previous week and gradually declined until the end.

The passing of Mr. Savage marks the final roll call of the 12th Vermont regiment which served in the Civil War. He was the last surviving member and joined Company A, his uncle, Charles Savage, being the captain. This company was known as the West Windsor Light Guards.

Mr. Savage was born in West Windsor, March 21, 1843, the son of Allen and Lucretia Savage. He is survived by his daughter, Mrs. Ray L. Blanchard; and by a great-grandson, Bruce Blanchard; and by a cousin, Carl Blanchard, of Roodhouse, Ill.

In 1877 Mr. Savage was married to Charlotte Lombard of West Windsor. She died in 1917.

During Mr. Savage’s active years he followed the occupation of farming.

Funeral services will be held in the Church in Brownsville, Friday, Oct. 15 at 2 p .m. and burial will be in the Brownsville cemetery. The Rev. E. W. Guilford of Brownsville will officiate.

Mr. Savage had many friends in Windsor where he had attended the Memorial Day ceremonies for many years. The Vermont Journal, October 31, 1937.

A Tribute.
West Windsor:.

Although a brief sketch of the life of John Savage was printed in the Vermont Journal last week, it is no more than his due to give a more extended account of the man. The late Wade Keyes said, “John Savage was more than a man, he was an institution.”.

As stated, he was the eldest of the four children of Allen and Lucretia (Lawrence) Savage. He was the last of the four children. His great grandfather, Captain Samuel Stowe Savage, was an officer in the War of the American Revolution, and the early history of Windsor relates of his commanding a company of militia in 1785. He settled in the West Parish and according to the records took an active part in the proceedings of the west part of the town. His son, Lemuel, settled on the farm now occupied by Harold Kittredge and it was here that John was born. He received his schooling in the so-called Ely district school, and that was limited to the fall and winter terms.

Savage was a nice bass singer and sang for a number of years in the church at Brownsville. John began singing in the same choir at the age of 16. For 55 years he was a member of the choir, with the exception of his year in the army. Of continuous service, the choir in those days was expected to sing at funerals. There was hardly a home in West Windsor where his voice had not been heard; he had a wonderful bass voice in tone and registration, and if he could have studied music, might have gone far in that line, but he loved the soil and was a real farmer. He was a slick farmer; whatever he did was well done even to the very last. The harder the job the better he seemed to like it, but always took the time necessary to do it well. If anything ever exhausted his patience it was to have a man alight his work in order to get done a little quicker. In the days before trained nurses, when people were sick he was one of the men who could do his work then go and sit up with a sick neighbor, go home in the morning and do his work, then go back the next night if wanted. He belonged to the old West Windsor band which existed from 1870 to 1876 and was broken up by the leader removing from town. He loved the singing birds and knew where they nested and what their habits were. It was a pleasure to be in the woods and hear him talk to the feathered songsters. He loved the children, especially the little ones. In his later life to his own grandchildren and the neighboring ones he would read by the hour in such a way that they never left him until he said he had enough. For 25 years he was the librarian at the Mary L. Blood library, resigning because he thought it could be done better by younger people. He never sought public office but served as selectman for several terms and could have represented the town in the General Assembly, but would never consent to allow his name to be used.

At the church where he sang so long, he was the senior trustee and senior steward and took an active part in all its proceedings until a few years ago, retaining his interest to the last. As noted, he was a member of Co. A, 12th Vermont, serving a year in the south. While on guard detail in Washington he saw Lincoln, also at the hospital in Alexandria, Va. It was here that Mr. Savage contracted malaria and this was ever present with him at intervals during the rest of his life. In 1885, while working over a lime barrel, it exploded with the result that he practically lost the sight of one eye, but still he carried on. His knowledge of the early history of the town of West Windsor and Windsor was so good that the late Henry Wardner consulted him on several occasions for verification of data thereto. He was a great reader with a wonderful memory and could tell of what he had read in an interesting way. As stated he had a limited education but he developed a broad liberal one which very few knew until they had conversed with him.

After the Civil War, although many of his comrades went west to locate he chose to remain among Vermont hills. He made occasional visits to friends and relatives in the mid-west, the last journey out there being made in his 91st year to the Chicago Exposition and southern Illinois. Mr. Savage was much interested in the Sons of Veterans and its Auxiliary and attended many of their gatherings when he could. He liked the boys of the American Legion and had stated that he thought the boys who went across had a more difficult time than he had experienced. The company of the National Guard at Windsor met his approval and he was very pleased with their kindness to him when he joined with them on Memorial Day.

A good detail of the boys under Lieut. Kittredge were present and acted as escort and guard of honor at the funeral. Their escort and attention, though silent, was very impressive, providing a fitting setting at the church and grave for this peace-loving soldier. Representatives of the above organizations were present at the funeral which was held in the church. A host of friends paid honor to him by their presence and the many flowers and notes of sympathy expressed the esteem and love all had for him. Rev. E. W. Guilford, pastor of the church read the scripture and several fitting poems, closing with a fine tribute to the man, soldier, and friend of everyone.

So passes a citizen of high order, who had rounded out nearly a century of usefulness. He could tell about the past, but did not live there. Up-to-date to the minute, living the present, with a mind open to the future and wondering what new things would be brought out in the next decade, this was Grandpa Savage as he was known to everyone in town.

Courtesy of Cathy Hoyt.