Site Logo
Soldiers - Units - Battles - Cemeteries - Towns

Woodruff, William R.


Age: 25, credited to Westford, VT
Unit(s): 13th VT INF
Service: enl 8/23/62, m/i 10/10/62, Pvt, Co. A, 13th VT INF, wdd, Gettysburg, 7/3/63, m/o 7/21/63

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 07/08/1838, Unknown
Death: 03/24/1911

Burial: Jericho Center Cemetery, Jericho, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Kathy Valloch

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 7/21/1884, VT
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: 13th Vt. History off-site


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Jericho Center Cemetery, Jericho, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


WILLIAM R. WOODRUFF was born in Keeseville, County of Clinton, State of New York, in the year 1840, residing there until the year 1858, when with his parents moved to the town of West- tord, County of Chittenden, State of Vermont. In July, 1862, he enlisted in the 13th Vt. Vols., Company A, Capt. John Lonergan. After stopping in Burlington for about six weeks, he was mustered in at Brattleboro, receiving his necessary equipment, among which was a pole about 10 feet in length to carry when on guard instead of a gun with strict orders to shoot the first person who attempted to cross the line. His first ex- perience while acting in this capacity in strict compliance with orders, was when he managed by lowering sights a little, to knock the underpinning from under one Culligan as he was crossing his beat. In the second day's fight he was slightly wounded in the fingers of his right hand which made him wholly unable to cap or load his gun. He came home with the regiment and was mustered out the 21st day of July, 1863. He re-enlisted in the Oneida Cavalry and was detailed in the Quartermaster's department until the close of the war when he was discharged June 29th, 1865. By reason of sickness he was moved to Augar General Hosptal near Alexandria the day on which he was ordered to turn in his horse, from which he was discharged when able to return home.

Source: Sturtevant's Pictorial History, Thirteenth Regiment, Vermont Volunteers, War of 1861-1865, p. 442