Site Logo
Home Page | Cemeteries | Battles | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns Units | Site Map

Cox, Allen Vail


Age: 25, credited to Barton, VT
Unit(s): 15th NH INF
Service: 15th NH INF

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 10/02/1838, Barton, VT
Death: 02/25/1917

Burial: Locust Ridge Cemetery, Brattleboro, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Tom Boudreau
Findagrave Memorial #: 95921060


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 4/23/1906, VT; widow Emogene M., 3/26/1917, VT
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: See 1914 Brattleboro Daily Reformer Article for biography.


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Locust Ridge Cemetery, Brattleboro, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Long-Time Business Man on Main Street - Served in Civil War - Helped Build Frigate Merrimac

Allen Vail Cox, 79, for nearly 50 years a resident of Brattleboro and for 40 years continuously in the tinware, plumbing and heating business until he retired in 1913, died suddenly Sunday afternoon in his home on High Lawn road. Death was due to a shock. A sister, Mrs. Lena T. Dustin, died in Brattleboro last week Thursday. Mr. Cox had just finished eating his dinner when he was stricken.

Mr. Cox was born in Barnard, Oct. 2, 1837, a son of Allen and Catherine (Smith) Cox. He remained on his father's farm until 16 years of age, going then to Boston, where he spent three years driving a hack and an omnibus and working on the frigate Merrimac, then in process of construction in the Charlestown navy yard. He left there when the frigate was launched in June, 1855.

He returned to the home farm and remained until he was 21. Moving to Enfield, N.H., he engaged in the carriage and sleigh manufacturing business and remained there until, as he used to say with a twinkle in his eye. "At the earnest solicitation of Abraham Lincoln I enlisted to assist him in putting down the rebellion against the general government." He possessed a keen sense of humor, of which the above is an illustration.

He enlisted Aug. 15, 1862, in Company C, 15th New Hampshire regiment, and was made orderly sergeant. The regiment finally reached New Orleans Christmas day and later engaged in the siege of Port Hudson, the only battle in which that regiment participated.

After being mustered out Mr. Cox located in Thetford, again engaging in the carriage and sleigh business until May, 1866, when he moved back to his native town, establishing a carriage and general jobbing business and doing undertaking. He moved to Brattleboro June 15, 1869, and was employed in the Estey shops four years.

On June 15, 1873, he bought the tinware business established by Holdon & Willard and 20 years later added plumbing, steam and hot water business. For 40 years he conducted the business without taking a vacation of a day. He sold it to Pearl T. Clapp, June 9, 1913. It is now the store of W. J. Pentland, on Main street. During his business career his store was the headquarters for many of the older business and professional men of the town, who delighted to assemble there and review past years. Mr. Cox was gifted with a retentive memory and was particularly accurate in any statements he made. He was often asked to settle disputes over events or dates and there were few who were not willing to abide by his verdict. His brother, the late Dr. Gardner Cox of Holyoke, Mass., was a genealogist, and wrote the genealogy of the Cox family.

After his retirement from active business Mr. Cox built a home of High Lawn road and had since lived there in well earned retirement. He was a member of Sedgwick Post, G. A. R.

Mr. Cox married in Woodstock, Nov. 5. 1860, Miss Emogene M. Clapp, who survives with one daughter, Miss Myrtle Cox of Brattleboro. He leaves also one sister, Miss S. Maria Cox of Detroit, Mich.

The funeral was held Wednesday at 11:30 o'clock at the home, Rev. Delmar E. Trout, past or of the Universalist church, officiating. The bearers were W. J. Pentland, jr., Thomas Long, James Cummings, W. R. Vinton, Ralph J. Eldridge and Howard Merrill. Among those who attended from put of town were Allen H. Cox of Cambridge, Mass., Frank C. Cox of Woburn, Mass., Dr. And Mrs. Stanley Cox of Holyoke, Mass., Miss S. Maria Cox and John Corliss, Jr., of Detroit, Mich., and Mrs. Otis Fellows of Newton Center, Mass. The body was placed in the tomb in Morningside cemetery.

Source: Vermont Phoenix, March 2, 1917
Courtesy of Tom Boudreau.