Vermont Flag Site Logo
Find a Soldier Units Battles Cemeteries Descendants Pensions Towns

Smith, William A.


Age: 0, credited to Fair Haven, VT
Unit(s): 17th MI INF
Service: SGT MAJ and Co. A, 17th MI INF

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 09/01/1839, Fair Haven, VT
Death: 01/26/1923

Burial: Cedar Grove Cemetery, Fair Haven, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Jennifer Snoots

Findagrave Memorial #: 0
(There may be a Findagrave Memorial, but we have not recorded it)


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 2/16/1871
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Cedar Grove Cemetery, Fair Haven, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

William A. Smith

"W.A. Smith (my husband) enlisted in May, 1862, in Company A, Seventeenth Michigan Infantry, for a period of three years; was at South Mountain Md., Sept. 14th, and Antietam on the 17th of the same month; marched from Antietam to Fredericksburg, and crossed the river under command of Gen. Burnside, but was not engaged in action. From Fredericksburg the Corps was sent to Covington, Kentucky, and from there to Vicksburg, Miss. After the surrender of Vicksburg, the Corps (the Ninth, A.E. Burnside, commanding,) was sent after the rebel, General Johnson, at Jackson, Miss., where he (W.A.S.) was wounded on the shin by a shell. They then returned to Covington, Ky.; from this place they went to Knoxville, Tenn., where they were besieged by Gen. Longstreet. During the siege he was wounded in the knee by a Minnie ball; from this wound he receives a pension. Soon after this battle they were transferred to the Army of the Potomac. Mr. Smith was then on a furlough at his home in Adrian, Mich., recovering from his wound. He was with General Grant at the battles of the Wilderness and Spotsylvania Court House, where be received a wound in the hand, and was sent to the United States General Hospital at Annapolis, Md. He rejoined his regiment in front of Petersburg, Va., Sept. 1st, 1864; was in most of the engagements until the close of the war in April, 1865. He enlisted as a private; when discharged was a Sergeant Major." (from "The Stiles Family in America" by Henry Reed Stiles; pub. by Doan & Pilson, Jersey City, NJ, 1895)

Contributed by Jennifer Snoots.