Walker, William Harris
Age: 30, credited to Windham, VT
Unit(s): 16th VT INF
Service: comn CPT, Co. C, 16th VT INF, 8/29/62 (10/12/62), resgd 10/22/62, due to attack of typhoid fever [College: MC 58]
See Legend for expansion of abbreviationsVITALS
Birth: 02/02/1832, Windham, VT
Burial: Pleasant View Cemetery, Ludlow, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Joie Finley Morris +
Findagrave Memorial #: 94621834
Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Not Found
College?: MC 58
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)
(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)
Pleasant View Cemetery, Ludlow, VT
Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.
William H. Walker
Walker, William Harris, of Ludlow, son of Ephraim and Lydia (Harris) Walker, was born in Windham, Feb. 2, 1832.
His parents removed to Londonderry in 1838, where he received his primary education in the district schools of the town. He fitted for college at Leland and Gray Seminary and Black River Academy, and in 1858 graduated from Middlebury College. While pursuing his studies he was elected assistant secretary of the Vermont Senate in the year 1857. In order to secure the necessary funds to complete his collegiate course he was allowed by the faculty of the college to teach in a grammar school in Orleans, Mass., and served one term as principal of the West River Seminary at South Londonderry. Soon after his graduation he was appointed principal of the academy at Little Falls, N. Y., where he remained for two years, during which time he entered his name as a student at law in the office of the Hon. Arphaxed Loomis. In 1860, resigning his position as instructor and removing to Ludlow, he finished his studies with Hon. F. C. Robbins, was admitted to the bar of Windsor county at the December term, 1861, and immediately opened an office at Ludlow, where he remained in practice until he was chosen an assistant judge of the Supreme Court by the Legislature in 1884.
Judge Walker represented the town of Ludlow in the Legislatures of 1865 and 1866, and 1884, serving on several important committees, and as chairman of the judiciary committee in 1884. In 1867 and 1868 he was elected a senator from Windsor county, serving on the judiciary and other committees. He ably filled the position of state's attorney for Windsor county for two successive terms. In 1878 he was appointed by Governor Fairbanks a commissioner to make examination of the insane asylum, being associated with Dr. Goldsmith of Rutland, and Dr. Fassett of Saint Albans, and was a supervisor of the insane for two years ending December, 1880.
The integrity, ability, and judicial fairness of Judge Walker have often caused his appointment as referee in cases pending in the courts of several counties in the state. In 1878 he was elected judge of probate, discharging the duties of that office to the satisfaction of the people. He was a judge of the Supreme Court from 1884 until September, 1887, when he was obliged to resign on account of impaired health. He has always been a strong Republican in his political views, and cast his first presidential ballot for General Fremont.
He is one of the trustees of Middlebury College, and president of Black River Academy. In this last he has taken an active interest, and was largely influential in the construction of a new building in 1888, at a cost of nearly $16,000.
In 1862 Judge Walker entered the patriot army and was elected captain in the 16th Regt. of the Vt. Vols., but was obliged to resign this honorable position on account of a severe attack of typhoid fever. For a quarter of a century he has belonged to the Masonic order.
In 1859 Judge Walker was united to Miss Ann Eliza, daughter of Dr. Ardain G. and Ruth (Pettigrew) Taylor, of Ludlow. One son has been born to them: Frank Ardain.
Source: Jacob G. Ullery, compiler, Men of Vermont: An Illustrated Biographical History of Vermonters and Sons of Vermont, (Transcript Publishing Company, Brattleboro, VT, 1894), Part II, p. 417.