Site Logo
Soldiers - Units - Battles - Cemeteries - Towns

Fuller, John C.


Age: 21, credited to Woodstock, VT
Unit(s): 54th MA INF
Service: enl 1/5/64, Woodstock, VT, m/i 1/22/64, PVT, Co. K, 54th MA INF, m/o 8/20/65

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 12/25/1842, Philadelphia, PA
Death: 06/15/1904

Burial: Evergreen Cemetery, Rutland, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Jennifer Snoots
Findagrave Memorial #: 91465731


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 5/24/1875; widow Julia A., 10/13/1904, VT
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Evergreen Cemetery, Rutland, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

John C. Fuller

Rutland Daily Herald, June 17, 1904:

The sudden death of John C. Fuller the old colored janitor at the County court house for years, occurred at his home noth of the city Wednesday evening about 7:30 o'clock from heart disease caused by the grip.

Mr. Fuller was born at Philadelphia 61 years ago. He enlisted in the 54th Massachusetts infantry during the civil war and was discharged as corporal of company K of that regiment. Mr. Fuller came to Rutland immediately after the war and soon after married and made his home in this town, where he has since lived. He had been janitor at the court house for 2- [partly illegible] years and his willingness and faithful service had made him many friends among the large number of people with whom he came in contact. He was a member of the Congregational church and of Post Roberts No. 14, Grand Army of the Republic.

Mr. Fuller had an attack of grip during the March term of County court and had been unable to attend to his regular duties. He was, however, able to be about and Wednesday evening was performing some light work in the barn at his home near the Twin Bridges. He was seized with a sudden weakness, but managed to reach a chair within the house. He spoke a few words to his wife and then without other warning pitched forward dead.

He is survived by his wife and one son, Clarence Fuller, employed at the Berwick house. The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon. There will be prayers at the house at 3 o'clock and the service at the Congregational chapel in this city at 3:30 o'clock. The burial will be in Evergreen cemetery. The services will be in charge of Post Roberts, Grand Army of the Republic.

Contributed by Jennifer Snoots.