Site Logo
Soldiers - Units - Battles - Cemeteries - Towns

Brooks, Lorenzo Dow


Age: 28, credited to Swanton, VT
Unit(s): 7th VT INF
Service: comn CPT, Co. F, 7th VT INF, 1/9/62 (2/4/62), kia 7/23/62, onboard steamer Ceres, opposite Warrenton, MS, below Vicksburg

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 04/20/1833, St. Albans, VT
Death: 07/23/1862

Burial: St. Albans Point Cemetery, St. Albans, VT
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Kathy Valloch
Findagrave Memorial #: 115888840


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, mother Martha M., 4/24/1880
Portrait?: VHS Collections
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: Brother of Delos and Royce, same unit


Cousin of Gary E. Wright, Huddleston, VA

Great Granduncle of Jane Brooks Kaskela (deceased), Whitesboro, NY

Great Granduncle of Jeffrey Teller Brooks, Cape Coral, FL

Great Granduncle of Christopher William Brooks, Idaho Falls, ID

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



St. Albans Point Cemetery, St. Albans, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


VHS - Reunion Society Collection



Courtesy of Gary Wright

Lorenzo D. Brooks

Capt. Lorenzo D. Brooks recruited company F., 7th regiment, at Swanton, and was mustered into service captain of the company Feb.12,’62. He accompanied the regiment to Ship Island, thence to New Orleans and Baton-Rouge. In command of his company he was killed in action, July 23,’62, on board the steamer “Ceres”, opposite Warrenton, Miss, a few miles below Vicksburg. The following sketch is furnished by Mrs.--------------

Capt. Lorenzo D. Brooks, son of Alonzo and Martha Brooks, of St. Albans Bay, was born April 20,'33, in that part of town known as St. Albans Point. In Jan.,'62, he was a merchant doing business in Swanton; he heard our country's call "To arms", and speedily closing up his business, offered his services to the government, and went forth to its rescue. For many years previously business had called him much away from his native State. He went West in '54. Returning again to the home of his childhood in '56, he embarked with friends with and relatives for California, and spent three years in the Gold regions where he realized many of his fondest anticipations. He returned home and went into trade with his uncle at Swanton, and had been there 2 years when he so willingly left all behind to go forth to battle for the right. We know not with what high ambitions and lofty aspirations filling his bosom, he marched forward, but we do know before the victory was won, or his hopes were realized, he was stricken down in all his manly glory. He was beloved by his officers and men of the whole regiment and by kind friends at home; the fatal ball that caused his life's blood to ebb away, pierced almost equally a mother's heart.

Hemenway's Historical Gazetteer, 1871, 2:446

Submitted By: Deanna French.