Site Logo
Home Page | Cemeteries | Battles | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns Units | Site Map

Bicknell, Frederick Thompson


Age: 0, credited to Jericho, VT
Unit(s): 23rd WI INF
Service: enl, Pvt, Co. A, 23rd WI INF, 8/15/62, m/o 7/4/65 [College: WSU, RMC 70]

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 04/20/1842, Jericho, VT
Death: 07/16/1915

Burial: Inglewood Park Cemetery, Inglewood, CA
Marker/Plot: Condordia Grave 209
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Don Green
Findagrave Memorial #: 9622508


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 4/2/1904, CA; widow Carrie F., 7/21/1915, CA
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: WSU, RMC 70
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice



Inglewood Park Cemetery, Inglewood, CA

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.

Frederick T. Bicknell

BICKNELL, FREDERICK THOMPSON, Physician and Surgeon, Los Angeles, California, was born at Jericho, Chittenden County, Vermont, on April 20, 1842, his parents being Nathaniel and Fanny Thompson Bicknell. In the family blood is that of Hannah Dustin and R. H. Dana. Dr. Bicknell was twice married, his first wife being Etta Cooper of Lake Mills, Wisconsin, and to them a daughter, now Mrs. Etta Florence Bicknell Zombro, was born at Neosho, Missouri. On December 6, 1882, he married Carrie E. Fargo at San Francisco.

Dr. Bicknell resided in Vermont until 1852, when he moved with his parents to Lake Mills, Jefferson County, Wisconsin, where he worked on his father's farm and attended district school until he was seventeen years old. Then he attended Albion Academy, at Albion, Wisconsin, where he studied during the fall terms and taught school in the winter terms. On August 15, 1862, he enlisted in the army in Company A, Twenty-third Wisconsin Regiment, and remained in active service until mustered out at the end of the war, July 4, 1865.

While In the army his service was In the Department of the Mississippi, first under General Grant, from the beginning to the end of the Vicksburg campaign. Then through the Red River campaign under General Banks and General A. J. Smith. Then came the Mobile, Alabama, campaign under General Canby.

Throughout the entire war Dr. Bicknell was a soldier In the ranks, and while his discharge records thirteen pitched battles, it does not tell of the unnumbered skirmishes and scouting expeditions where danger and death were no less in evidence than in the most active battles. A blistered scalp from the sharpshooter's bullet, knocked down by the concussion of a nearby exploding shell, and a gun shattered In his hands, were but a few of the close calls experienced by him.

Upon receiving bis discharge in 1865 he returned to Madison, Wisconsin, and entered the State University, studying there and working in summer on the farm until 1867, when he began studying medicine in the office of Dr. John Faville of Madison; he then attended Rush Medical College in Chicago, graduating in 1870.

In the fall of that same year Dr. Bicknell settled in the City of Neosho, Missouri, In partnership with Dr. Lewis Wills. In the spring of 1872 Dr. Bicknell returned to Lake Mills, Wisconsin, and married Etta Cooper, and returned at once to Neosho. A daughter was born to them, but Mrs. Bicknell survived the event but a little more than a month.

In the fall of 1873 Dr. Bicknell went with his old preceptor, Dr. John Faville, to New York and took a postgraduate course at Bellevue College and Hospital.

After a short return to Wisconsin, he went to California in April, 1874. Finding the Panamint mining excitement on, he went as physician and surgeon to that region for the Panamint Mining and Milling Company, at that time owned by United States Senators Jones and Stewart of Nevada. On the close of the camp he served in the same capacity at the Caso Mine of Darwin, and then practiced at Independence, in Inyo County, where he had charge of the County Hospital. He later went to Bishop Creek, a larger town of the valley.

In the summer of 1881 Dr. Bicknell returned to Lake Mills, Wisconsin, to get bis little daughter, Miss Etta, whom his mother-in-law had been fostering; he there became engaged to his present wife, who was Miss Carrie Fargo, and returned to Los Angeles. Miss Fargo came to San Francisco, at which place Dr. Bicknell met her, and the marriage took place December 6, 1882.

After his marriage Dr. Bicknell returned at once to Los Angeles and since that time his only business has been the practice of medicine and surgery.

Among the leading professional organizations with which Dr. Bicknell is associated are the following: He is a member of the American Medical Association and of his State and County societies. He is ex-President Southern California Medical Society; ex-President Los Angeles County Medical Society; ex-President of the California Hospital, and ex-Professor Gyocology of the Medical College of Southern California.

He is a member of the University Club, of the Chamber of Commerce, and of the Masonic Order, Southern California Lodge, No. 278, F. and A. M. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, Stanton Post.

Source: Press Reference Library (Southwest Edition), notables of the soutwest, (Los Angeles Examiner, 1912), p. 29