Site Logo
Home | Battles | Cemeteries | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Marsh, Otis Mason


Age: 0, credited to Hartland, VT
Unit(s): Spreight's Btln, TX CAV
Service: Captain, Co. A. Spreight's Battalion, Texas Cavalry, CSA [College: NU 42]

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: abt 1821, Hartland, VT
Death: 12/26/1892

Burial: Orange Grove Cemetery, Lake Charles, LA
Marker/Plot: Not recorded
Gravestone photographer: Tom Ledoux
Findagrave Memorial #: 58270342


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Not found
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: NU 42
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


Great Grandfather of Otis Beverly Marsh II, Boise, ID

(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice

Orange Grove Cemetery, Lake Charles, LA

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Otis M. Marsh, brother of Lieut.-Col. Samuel Marsh '39, was born in Hartland about 1821. His boyhood days were passed in Woodstock and Norwich. He entered the University in 1839, and graduated A. B., and M. C. E., in 1812. He entered the profession of civil engineering, and was first engaged on the Northern Railroad, in New Hampshire. He then was engineer of railroads in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Texas, and Louisiana, and gained great distinction in his profession, but the detail of his work we have been unable to receive.
He served during the Civil War as captain Texas Infantry, Speight's Battalion, C. S. A. He participated in the engagement at Sabine Pass, and later was taken prisoner, and confined in a foul prison-pen in Kansas for many months. Soon after the war, he moved from Texas with his family to the southern portion of Acadia Parish, La., and from there to Lake Charles, La., in 1876, where he resided until his death. At the age of ten years, he became converted, and was an earnest and faithful member of the Methodist church. He held various positions in the church, and was for a number of years superintendent of the Sunday-school in Lake Charles. During the last years of his life, disease of the throat and lungs caused him partial loss of voice, and great suffering. He died, December 26, 1892, at his home in Lake Charles. His body, covered with the Confederate flag and the stars and stripes, was borne to the grave by his old comrades, the Confederate veterans.
He married a Southern lady, who with a son, Otis Mason, survives him.

William A. Ellis. Norwich University. Her History, Her Graduates, Her Roll of Honor, (Rumford Press, Concord, NH, 1898), pp. 245-246.