Site Logo
Home Page | Cemeteries | Battles | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Towns | Units | Site Map

Bond, George Herbert


Age: 18, credited to Readsboro, VT
Unit(s): 16th VT INF
Service: enl 9/20/62, m/i 10/23/62, Pvt, Co. I, 16th VT INF, m/o 8/10/63

See Legend for expansion of abbreviations


Birth: 02/20/1846, Dummerston, VT
Death: 05/03/1928

Burial: Prospect Hill Cemetery, Brattleboro, VT
Marker/Plot: 397
Gravestone researcher/photographer: Tom Boudreau
Findagrave Memorial #: 74633558


Alias?: None noted
Pension?: Yes, 5/16/1899, VT (Herbert G.)
Portrait?: Unknown
College?: Not Found
Veterans Home?: Not Found
(If there are state digraphs above, this soldier spent some time in a state or national soldiers' home in that state after the war)

Remarks: None


(Are you a descendant, but not listed? Register today)


Copyright notice


Prospect Hill Cemetery, Brattleboro, VT

Check the cemetery for location/directions and other veterans who may be buried there.


Bond, George Herbert, of Brattleboro, son of Luke T. and Elsie (Stoddard) Bond, was born in Dummerston, Jan. 31, 1846.

Educated in the common schools, at the age of sixteen he enlisted in Co. I, 16th Regt. Vt. Vols. He served for a period of nine months when he received his discharge. Returning, he lived five years at home, afterwards in Orange, Lowell and Boston.

In 1864, at the time of the Saint Albans raid, he enlisted in the National Guard as a private, and since then has passed through all grades until he has reached that lieutenant-colonel, which position he now holds.

In January, 1870, he married Miss Addie daughter of George and Elishaba (Maynard Carpenter, of Orange, Mass. Two daughters have been born to them: Lizzie C., and Nellie G., the latter Mrs. W. F. Root of Brattleboro.

In 1872 he took up his residence in Brattleboro, where for fourteen years he was the employ of the Estey Organ Co., but since 1887 has been engaged in the coal business.

He is a prominent Odd Fellow and Mason, being a member of Wantastiquet Lodge, No. 5, I. O. O. F.; Brattleboro Lodge, No. 102, F. & A.M.; Fort Dummer Royal Arch Chapter, No. 12, and Beauseant Commandery, Knights Templar, No. 71.

Source: Jacob G. Ullery, compiler, Men of Vermont: An Illustrated Biographical History of Vermonters and Sons of Vermont, (Transcript Publishing Company, Brattleboro, VT, 1894), Part II, pp. 34-5.


St. Albans Daily Messenger
May 7,1928


After 15 years of service in Washington, George Herbert Bond, of Brattleboro, doorkeeper of the Senate chamber and a former colonel in the Vermont state militia, died in the United States naval hospital here on Thursday where he was receiving treatments for injuries sustained in a fall about six months ago. Mrs. W. F. Root, of Brattleboro, his daughter, was here when he died.

He was apparently on the road to recovery as only a few hours before his death he was in good spirits when he was visited by the doctor.

The accident which caused his injuries occurred about six weeks ago in his rooms where he tripped over his bathrobe cord and fell against the furnature. Although he was 82 years old it was expected that he would recover from the injuries.

Before coming to Washington about 15 years ago Bond was employed in Brattleboro with the Estey Organ Co., and later went into the coal business. During the Civil War he was a member of the Sixteenth Vermont Volunteer Infantry. After being mustered out of the service he enlisted in the Vermont state militia and rose, rank by rank, until he received the highest commission in the regiment, that of colonel. His body is being shipped to Brattleboro for burial it is understood here.

Brattleboro Reformer

May 4, 1928



Retired Senate Messenger

Has Cerebral Hemorrhage


Father of Mrs. W.F. Root of Brattleboro and Mrs. C.G. Maynard of Burlington Fell Recently in Washington but Seemed to Be Recovering.

While apparently making a good recovery from injuries received Feb. 11, when he fell in his room in Washington, D.C., gen. George H. Bond, 82, of Brattleboro, Civil War veteran, retired messenger of the United States Senate and former business man here, suffered a cerebral hemorrhage about 5:15 o'clock yesterday afternoon in the United States naval hospital in Washington and died almost instantly. News of his death came early last evening in telegrams from Congressman E.W. Gibson and the hospital to his daughter, Mrs. Wilfred F. Root of 89 Canal street. Mrs. Root returned here April 22 following a second visit to her father, and was planning to go to Washington again soon to remain until he was able to return home with her. She received a letter from him, written late last week, in which he told of feeling much better and of anticipating seeing her soon and of making the trip home.

The body is expected to arrive here tomorrow morning. Funeral services, in charge of the Beauseant commandery, Knights Templar, will be held at Grove Terrace Monday at 3 o'clock.

George Herbert Bond was born in Dummerston Jan. 31, 1846, a son of Luke Taylor and Elsey (Stoddard) Bond. He attended the public schools there and on Sept. 20, 1862, at the age of 16 years, enlisted in Company I, 16th Regiment, Vermont Volunteers. Besides other engagements, he was in the battle of Gettysburg July 1,2 and 3, 1863. He was discharged Aug. 10 of that year.

In 1865, at the time of the St. Albans raid, Mr. Bond enlisted in Company H, 12th Regiment, Vermont Volunteer Militia, of which the late Col. Kittredge Haskins of Brattleboro was captain. He served two years, being discharged in 1867. On June 24, 1873, Mr. Bond enlisted in Company I, 1st Regiment, Vermont Volunter Militia, serving as private, fourth sergeant and first sergeant, captain July 18, 1881; commissioned major Dec. 11, 1886; lieutenant colonel of the regiment Jan. 6, 1893; brevet colonel, Nov. 28, 1894; colonel Jan. 10, 1895; brevet brigadier Dec. 16, 1897; retired Dec. 16, 1897.

He commanded the Vermont troops at the inauguration of President McKinley, March 4, 1897, and at the memorial parade at the dedication of Gen. U.S. Grant's tomb April 27, 1897. He was in almost continuous military service 35 years, and his service was highly commented upon by Gov. Josiah Grout in the official order at the time of his retirement in 1897.

General Bond always was an active worker in the Republican party, and on March 15, 1900, he was appointed messenger in the United States Senate, the appointment coming through Senator Redfield Proctor. He held the position until about five years ago, when he was placed on the senate honor roll for life, the honor going to senate attaches who were veterans of the Union army. He was in the service of the senate 22 years, his duties being principally as doorkeeper at the senate lobby.

In 1870 he married Addie Richardson Carpenter, daughter of George and Elisheba (Maynard) Carpenter of Orange, Mass. She died June 24, 1914. He leaves two daughters, Elizabeth Carrie, wife of Clifford G. Maynard of Burlington, and Nellie Gertrude, widow of Wilfred F. Root of Brattleboro. He also leaves one grandson, Ralph C. Root, who conducts the Root pharmacy, and two granddaughters, Marian (Maynard), wife of Henry T. Dubreuil of Chicago, and Lice M. Maynard of Burlington, and one great-granddaughter, Betty Dubreuil of Chicago.

After the war General Bond began his business career here as an employee 1867-8. He was with the New Home Sewing machine Co., in Orange, Lowell and Boston from 1868 to 1870, and was with the Estey Organ Co. here from 1872 to 1886. Then he bought out Captain Gleason' coal business, which he conducted until 1899, his office being in the George E. Greene pharmacy. Then came his senate appointment. After he was placed on the honor roll of the senate he continued to stay in Washington during sessions of congress. For 18 years he roomed in a private family, and it was there that he fell Feb. 11. On Feb 15 he was taken to the hospital, and for some time before his death he had been able to be about in a wheel chair.

General Bond was an attendant at the Centre Congregational church here. He was a member of Brattleboro lodge, No. 102, F. And A.M.; Fort Dummer chapter, R.A.M.; Connecticut Valley Council, R. and S.M.; Beauseant Commandery, No. 7, Knights Templar, serving seven years as captian general; one of the oldest members of Wantastiquet lodge of Odd Fellows; a member of Dennis Rebekah lodge, and past junior vice commander of Sedgwick post, G.A.R.

General Bond, while living in Washington much of the time the past 28 years, did not forget his old friends in Brattleboro, and it was always a pleasure for him to greet them on his return home at the close of a congressional session, which pleasure was mutual. In the national capital he became personally acquainted with a great number of the most prominent public men of the country, who held him in high regard and who would do anything in their power on his behalf. It was said of him that he looked the part of the a soldier, that he reflected good fellowship and that his courteous demeanor was ever in evidence. At the time he was brevetted in 1897 Governor Grout said of him: "He carries with him into his retirement the satisfaction of a long term of service, faithfully performed, not only in the defense of his country during the war, but later as a private, non-commissioned officer, company and field officer in the Vermont National Guard." In his home General Bond was lovable and appreciative and in all his relations of life he was honorable and dependable.

Contributed by Tom Boudreau