Stereoviews of the Main Lobby of the State House taken in the 1870's with the framed composites of Civil War officers. These remained on the walls until portraits of Admirals Clark and Dewey supplanted some shortly after the turn of the century. The rest lined the walls of what is today the Hall of Inscriptions where Lincoln's bust has been displayed since it came into the building c. 1912. These were finally removed around 1945 when Gov. Mortimer Proctor appointed a State House "beautification committee" who decided to create a hall of quotations in place of the composites. The individual portraits were sent to Vermont Historical Society for safekeeping.
(Courtesy of the Vermont State Curator's Office)
House Vestibule with its 1871 flag cases, again in an image that dates to the mid-1870's. The flags have been removed for restoration, and the cases were filled with new displays on Farmer's Night, on 6 April 2011. Check out the Flag Room in our Virtual Museum, and the Vermont Historical Society's presentation in their Digital Vermont project.