Site Logo
Home Page | Descendants | Find A Soldier | Units | Site Map

10th Vermont Infantry

Post-war Deposition

On this 23rd day of November 1885 at Lyndonville, County of Caledonia State of Vermont.

Solomon Mitchell deposes and says:

His age is 79 years. Post Office, Sutton, Caledonia, Vt. occupation, farmer.

I enlisted at Lyndon, VT., 21 June 1862, in Co. A, 10 VT Volunteers and after I enlisted I went to St. Johnsbury, VT and joined the company. We were at St. Johnsbury about three weeks.

Our company than went to Brattleboro, VT and went into camp and was at Brattleboro about one month. From Brattleboro we went to Washington, D.C. and crossed a long bridge and went up a hill and went into camp and was in camp there about two weeks.

We than started on a march and while we were getting ready to march two men were trying to put a bridle on a mule and I laughed at them and Orderly Sgt. Thompson who was standing by told me to go and put the bridle on this mule and I did so and a short time after that Orderly Sgt. Thompson came to me and told me that I must go and lead the mules. I told him that I did not want to but he said I must go and I took the two mules and lead them by the head. These two mules was the head team on a wagon and I could not drive them and had to lead them by the heads.

We started from camp towards night on a Sunday [21 September 1862]. We marched down the hill and crossed a long bridge and went up the river toward Edwards Ferry.

Long about the middle of the night I got hurt I was leading the mules and it was very dark and the mules got ugly and ran down in the ditch with me and under their feet and trampled on me and caused a rupture and also injured the right side of my head. I was so badly hurt that I could not walk and I got on a wagonload of crackers and I rode till we got to Edwards Ferry and I stayed with my company in camp. I could do no duty. I was out of my head and did not know anything and I was in that condition for three or four weeks and I was sent to Douglas Gen. Hosp., in Washington, D.C.

From there I was sent to Brattleboro Gen. Hosp. at Brattleboro, VT. After I had been in the hospital at Brattleboro about six weeks I had a furlough and went home and was home a month and a half when my discharge was sent to me and with it a month and a half pay.

For ten years before I enlisted I lived in Sheffield, Caledonia Co., VT and my occupation was farming. When I was discharged from the army I went back to and lived there till the spring of 1882. I than moved to Sutton, VT about two miles from where I had lived in Sheffield.

Before I enlisted I could see as well as ever. My eyesight was good. I could never read or write and I never used glasses. Right after I was injured my right eye began to get sore and weak and before I was discharged from the army a skin or film began to grow over the sight. My eye was so weak I could not use my eye often and when it stopped running water I could not see anything out of my right eye and have not had use of it since.

Before I enlisted I never had any disease or sickness of any kind I was a tough hearty man. I never had rheumatism in my life but after I was hurt I was stiff and lame on account of my injury.

Solomon Mitchell

Source: Civil War Pension Files of Solomon Mitchell, contributed by his 2nd-great-grandson, Harold Mitchell, Sun City Center, Florida.