Site Logo

Vermont Artillery

Third Battery Light Artillery Vermont Volunteers

Civil War Diaries and Letters of
Eugene William Rolfe, Tunbridge


Camp near Aynia Creek, VA, Tuesday May 9th. 1865

We started at six this morning and crossing the Rappahaneck, we passed through the lower portion of Fredericksburg and found it like all other southern cities. A very nasty one. We passed over the heights beyond Fredericksburg and after stopping and getting stuck in the mud several times we got on to a good --- road and broke the ambulance spring and so I got in with Uncle Gings wagon. We passed through a place called Stafford Court House, a small place but a grieving one I should think be the number of small Negroes and Pi---- I saw. There was three dwelling houses, a Court House and a jail. We passed through some of the muddiest holes I ever saw and camped on the banks of Aynia Creek. I was tired and very nervous but on going over to Surgeon Drakes he pulled my tooth. He gave me some quinine polls and told me to stay in the ambulance. The loss of the tooth makes me easier

Wednesday, May 10th, 1865

This is a wet rainy day. We started early this morning and passed through Dumfries and camped about three miles beyond that place. There has been a very chilly wind today and I have had considerable of a chill this afternoon. The doctor gave me some quinine pills again tonight. He says I came near having the malarial fever.

Thursday, May 11th, 1865

Once more we have got a pleasant day. We started early this morning and forded the rive at wolf run shoals passed Fairfax station and court house both very pretty places and camped at Annandale about nine miles fro Alexandria. I went over to the surgeons tonight and he repeated the dose of quinine. He told the Corporal to take cook up in the morning and he would send him to the hospital. He offered Howard and I the same chance but we told him that we did not want to go.

Friday, May 12th, 1865

This is a very pleasant morning. Ars. Weeds old horses were about played out. The captain told Serilnes to hitch his on to carry cook off. He done so and just before he started off as I swan and I were about to put up a tent, the captain came and told me to pack my knapsack and get into the ambulance and go to the hospital. I told him there was no use in that as I was most well and all I wanted was a little strength but he said he could not help it as the doctor ordered it but I think he had something to do with it as he sent my descriptive list with me and told corporal Carroll to get us into the best hospital he could find. He tried the mansion House bit that was closed and so he took us to the Sickle U. S. Gen Hospital and once more I have two clean sheets to sleep between and plenty of very good food.

Contributed by Eugene L. Rolfe, Las Vegas, Nevada, great-grandson of Eugene William Rolfe.